Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #31
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,694 Times in 410 Posts

Most of the time you can tell by measuring and just looking at the chokes, not many are polished after being opened ,if you see tool marks most likely they have messed with.
The Following User Says Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #32
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Does it really matter very much if the gun is an average/worn condition Trojan, V or G, provided the work of relieving the chokes is done right? .
Would you take a vintage car in 100% original condition and install power windows?
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #33
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Would you take a vintage car in 100% original condition and install power windows?
Depends.. A 1953 Corvette? No. A 1958 Biscayne? Maybe?

I personally wouldn't alter anything to non original on a DH or higher, but a Trojan or VH?
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #34
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,045 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote:
A "faulty comparison" Rich. A closer analogy would be more like adding accessory springs to the steering linkage of a model T to keep it stable at 45 mph.
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #35
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Nope not me, but others may and that is their freedom of choice, or at least in this country its suppose to be. Different strokes etc. etc. People just have different views. Ya know what some call fashion others call tacky, who gets to choose that label?

In my podunk little hometown in middle of nowhere redneck Alabama there was a fella that painted this wild impressionistic modern abstract art. To me it was weird, gawdy and tacky that looked the inner workings of someone bordering on insanity and most people I knew would not hang that stuff in a closet. Of course they loved his work in Paris and he became very famous over there and somewhat celebrated back home, after the fact. Besides the only other claim to fame my little hometown had was the actress that played Nurse Ratchet in "One flew over the Coo Coos Nest" uncle lived there and she came to visit, once for a few hours at his country store.

Anyway, I like the comedian Louie Anderson talking about his Dad when going on vacation wearing plaid shorts, black socks with garters and loafers and then seeing hippies walking buy and murmuring under his breath "Would you look at those freaks" and then say "Hey quit looking at us, we're looking at you."
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #36
Twombly setters
Forum Associate

Member Info

can you open Damascus tubes?
legh higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #37
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by legh higgins View Post
can you open Damascus tubes?
Boy that is a head scratchier. I don't know but I guess you could, but I don't know a gunsmith today that would touch it with the liability concerns. Back at turn of the century they might have and guarantee someone on here will know the answer.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #38
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Potter View Post
I'm not so sure I buy the argument against opening chokes saying "buy a gun with open chokes, their are plenty out there"

they're out there, but it will definitely make your search more difficult. And I guess it depends on how you define "plenty"

Finding a gun with chokes that were opened adds another variable but, in my opinion, we owe it to those who come after us. For a lot of us, that’s a relatively short period of time. Just scan any of the sales sites and look for guns that have 30” or more barrels and the chokes are stated to be cylinder or improved cylinder. Chances are that the chokes have been messed with. Parker no doubt built 30” or better guns with open chokes but this is not typical. I would hold suspect any 30” or better gun with chokes other than modified or full. It may be original, but the odds are long.

I don’t view it as a monetary or collector issue at all. Rather, it is an appreciation and respect for antiquity and the superb work Parker did boring chokes. That coupled with the fact that the gun is no longer made encourages me to try to preserve intact those that are still unmolested. I don’t want to be responsible for diminishing the pool of intact guns, even with a worn Trojan.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 06-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #39
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,045 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
Just scan any of the sales sites and look for guns that have 30” or more barrels and the chokes are stated to be cylinder or improved cylinder. Chances are that the chokes have been messed with. Parker no doubt built 30” or better guns with open chokes but this is not typical. I would hold suspect any 30” or better gun with chokes other than modified or full. It may be original, but the odds are long.
Funny you mention that, I just picked up a Lefever F grade 10ga, a pivot lever rod cocker. It has 30" barrels and the chokes are R Cylinder and L .018. The muzzle shows no evidence of cut barrels. The left barrel has 5" inches of continuous taper to the muzzle. Factory or relieved? It also weighs 8 lbs 2 ounces so given the long continuous taper in the barrel with choke and it's light weight for a 10 bore it may very well have been ordered as an upland gun. The price was right either way and I am looking forward to shooting it.

P.S. When it comes to superb work in choking, Ithaca NID's and Rem 94's will often pattern tighter at 40 yards than any Parker.
Unread 06-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #40
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,921 Times in 12,560 Posts

Legh... talk to me first please. You know my number.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote