Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-08-2022, 08:34 PM   #31
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,375 Times in 3,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Rhodes View Post
I tend to make room in my hunting schedule for all the guns I own to get out at least once, but at the end of the day it’s the covers I hunt that define which ones see the most action. Being from a state where grouse are few and far between, and pheasants are essentially put and take, I find myself against the grain in the classic double world by desiring short barreled small chambered guns. Both for the lightness of the gun on long grouse walks and the fact I spend my time crawling through the places where no one else wants to for pheasants. So my 20 gauge lc smith, fox and Ithaca SKB’s get the nod for now. Being my collection is just beginning and a nice sub gauge graded gun from a prominent maker takes a little financial planning - I hope someday to have more options in these smaller gauge and barrel length configurations..But my 28” 12’s get their dose of vitamin D.
Dylan, I spent quite a few years chasing grouse in SE Ohio. I wish you could have known it back then…or did you?

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-08-2022, 08:44 PM   #32
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Dylan, I spent quite a few years chasing grouse in SE Ohio. I wish you could have known it back then…or did you?
My hunting career started in about 2005, so I did not. I have heard the stories of the days of old here when a dog wasn’t necessary and running out of shells was a real problem. I’ve witnessed the decline and now am seeing a mild resurgence in my area. We used to put 10 birds a day in the air when I was in high school 07-11 and then it slowly diminished to about 1-2 in 2018…then things started coming back up. just this last year I averaged 13. So I am holding out hope. However, they seem smarter than before. 13 in the air but if you were able to get close enough to 1-2 a day to get a decent shot your lucky. Most are 30 yards out and you hear the and catch them headed off through the woods….

Still more fun to me than going and popping a couple newly released pheasants though.
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post:
Unread 04-08-2022, 10:28 PM   #33
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,178 Times in 1,187 Posts

The most nostalgic gun I own is my big HE grade, 32" barreled, 3" chambered Fox duck gun. It has been a regular worrier of ducks ever since I acquired it, maybe 15 yrs. ago (?). I take it to Arkansas every year for ducks and, with bismuth, it has never let me down. Three years ago I went 6 for 6 with it. It is Thor's hammer, on ducks.

It is likely the last S X S I'd ever part with.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2022, 07:59 AM   #34
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
My hunting career started in about 2005, so I did not. I have heard the stories of the days of old here when a dog wasn’t necessary and running out of shells was a real problem. I’ve witnessed the decline and now am seeing a mild resurgence in my area. We used to put 10 birds a day in the air when I was in high school 07-11 and then it slowly diminished to about 1-2 in 2018…then things started coming back up. just this last year I averaged 13. So I am holding out hope. However, they seem smarter than before. 13 in the air but if you were able to get close enough to 1-2 a day to get a decent shot your lucky. Most are 30 yards out and you hear the and catch them headed off through the woods….

Still more fun to me than going and popping a couple newly released pheasants though.
13 flushes in a day of hunting— in Ohio?!?!? I would not complain about that (and I keep those coverts secret).

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Unread 04-09-2022, 08:02 AM   #35
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
The most nostalgic gun I own is my big HE grade, 32" barreled, 3" chambered Fox duck gun. It has been a regular worrier of ducks ever since I acquired it, maybe 15 yrs. ago (?). I take it to Arkansas every year for ducks and, with bismuth, it has never let me down. Three years ago I went 6 for 6 with it. It is Thor's hammer, on ducks.

It is likely the last S X S I'd ever part with.
Stan, I hope you never have to part with your Fox or have to decide on your last gun (especially remembering your exploits dove shooting with a .410).

Unread 04-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #36
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
13 flushes in a day of hunting— in Ohio?!?!? I would not complain about that (and I keep those coverts secret).
Oh no, sorry for that confusion. I do most of my hunting in PA. The grouse are north of the Allegheny national forest.
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2022, 09:08 AM   #37
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Oh no, sorry for that confusion. I do most of my hunting in PA. The grouse are north of the Allegheny national forest.
Gosh, you had me thinking of going back to Ohio again. BTW, my wife is from the Youngstown area. I grouse hunted in some of the nearby WMAs back in the late 1980s/early 1990s and found grouse not too terribly far from you then (Madison, OH, yes?). There were enough to justify visiting my in-laws.

I hope your PA coverts have a good nesting season.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2022, 09:29 AM   #38
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
That makes some sense, but 13 flushes is outstanding. Western parts of NY are clearly better than the eastern parts this past year or two. So far if this rain doesn't let up the nesting season will be bad in upstate NY.
Unread 04-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #39
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,178 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Stan, I hope you never have to part with your Fox or have to decide on your last gun (especially remembering your exploits dove shooting with a .410).
Thanks, my friend. I hope so, too. I do seem quite a paradox, I guess, with my love for big duck guns and little .410s, at the same time. However, there is a common thread here ........... loooong barrels.

Rather than deciding on a "last gun" I seem to be going the opposite direction. I made an offer on a 29" barreled English .410 ejector gun yesterday, with 3" chambers and heavy nitro proof. We'll see.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #40
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Thanks, my friend. I hope so, too. I do seem quite a paradox, I guess, with my love for big duck guns and little .410s, at the same time. However, there is a common thread here ........... loooong barrels.

Rather than deciding on a "last gun" I seem to be going the opposite direction. I made an offer on a 29" barreled English .410 ejector gun yesterday, with 3" chambers and heavy nitro proof. We'll see.
Pictures are expected...and I can wait until after the dove opener so that you can pose your new gun next to the bird of peace.