Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 11-20-2022, 04:33 PM   #31
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,273 Times in 2,788 Posts

I have a load for 10g using 7625 too. I have plenty of that powder but when I was given the recipe with Unique, I liked it so just kept using that load.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #32
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,800 Times in 3,501 Posts

Any hull SP-10 wad 30 grains of SR7625 and depending on the hull 3 or 4 red beans as filler . Plain and simple breaks targets and kills birds . When I started using this load it called for one 16 gauge 1/8” card in the shot cup which I did and it worked nicely . But somebody on here started talking about using beans and or cheerios which I laughed at . One day I was out of 16 cards so I went to the local grocery store and got some small red beans . Tried a couple in the snail at the shop , seemed fine . Loaded what I needed for where ever I was going used them and have never looked back . By all means do as you wish but this works for me ! Heck I’ve adapted the same basic 30 grain SR7626 and SP-10 wad for buckshot slugs and bismuth .
Unread 11-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #33
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Craig I use the same loading with bismuth, just go 1/4" on the fiber wad. Fits perfectly, crimps nice and whacks'em on the other end, very easy on the shooter, especially out of an 8 or 9 pound gun. I'm just worried the Bird Sheriff is gonna get you for baiting with the beans!
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 11-20-2022, 08:37 PM   #34
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
Craig I use the same loading with bismuth, just go 1/4" on the fiber wad. Fits perfectly, crimps nice and whacks'em on the other end, very easy on the shooter, especially out of an 8 or 9 pound gun. I'm just worried the Bird Sheriff is gonna get you for baiting with the beans!
If he can find the beans after the gun goes boom more power to him ! I suspect they disintegrate at the shot.
Unread 11-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #35
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
I have a load for 10g using 7625 too. I have plenty of that powder but when I was given the recipe with Unique, I liked it so just kept using that load.
You gave me your Unique load a year or so ago and I loaded a box or two . Since I’ve got plenty SR7625 and plenty Unique the Unique will be my go to if I run out of SR7625 .
10 ga. star crimping
Unread 11-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #36
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,145 Posts

Default 10 ga. star crimping

i'm back in the 2 7/8", 10 ga., reloading business. I've always done it one shell at the time with hand tools, never owned a 10 ga. press. But, in the past I always roll crimped cut down 3 1/2" hulls. I now have a large box full of 2 7/8" Cheddite hulls that were star crimped. Is there any way to recrimp them after loading, without a 10 ga. press?

I have a bench mounted drill press in the gun shop. I use it for roll crimping, etc. I could probably use a 6 pt. crimp starter in the drill press, with the cord unplugged, to start the crimp. Is there any way to use the drill press to finish the crimp, or any other way to do it by hand? What about the concern of buckling the hull, with no outside support of it, while finishing the crimp?
Stan Hillis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #37
Randy Kaalaas
PGCA Member

Member Info

Would you fellas care to share the info on the Unique load?
Randy Kaalaas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Kaalaas For Your Post:
Unread 11-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #38
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
i'm back in the 2 7/8", 10 ga., reloading business. I've always done it one shell at the time with hand tools, never owned a 10 ga. press. But, in the past I always roll crimped cut down 3 1/2" hulls. I now have a large box full of 2 7/8" Cheddite hulls that were star crimped. Is there any way to recrimp them after loading, without a 10 ga. press?

I have a bench mounted drill press in the gun shop. I use it for roll crimping, etc. I could probably use a 6 pt. crimp starter in the drill press, with the cord unplugged, to start the crimp. Is there any way to use the drill press to finish the crimp, or any other way to do it by hand? What about the concern of buckling the hull, with no outside support of it, while finishing the crimp?
I don’t see why you couldn’t buy the final crimper thing from MEC for a 10 gauge and figures way to chuck it in your drill press .
Unread 11-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #39
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,004 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post

I cant remember who but maybe it was Lee way back in the day made a star crimper hand tool and I have seen one before in 10 ga sell on ebay for $40. It looked to be basically a tube the shell went it the crimper went in the other end and you hit the crimper with a mallet. Theres a company that still makes a similar hand star crimper but not in 10 ga.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2022, 02:54 PM   #40
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,273 Times in 2,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Kaalaas View Post
Would you fellas care to share the info on the Unique load?
Sorry for the delay Randy. Here's my Unique load-

2 7/8" hull
22.5g Unique
SP10 wad with 1/2" 16g fiber wad in the shot cup. Might have to trim it to fit in a nice crimp.
1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz shot. If I'm making a spreader I use an X-Stream insert from BP and then drop my shot.

Any questions, feel free to message me.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!