Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #31
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,183 Times in 490 Posts

Thanks Bruce. I would have have paid more than that.
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #32
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Ok as most of you know, I have a new in box VHE 16 ga skeet gun. A couple of years ago when I displayed it at our annual meeting and 16 ga was the theme and it came in second place (lost out to Jim Hall's A 1 special, not bad for a lowly VHE....) after the meeting and a few weeks later I had offers from 20 to 30. Yes I still have the gun.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #33
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Eric, as soon as I hit the lotto I'll give you a call. Your VHE 16 ga would have gotten my vote.
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #34
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Ouch, looks like I was off, and no reflection on your great guns, Eric. But, that is a special rare one, skeet and a small bore. A genuine offer such as Eric had sets value much more than a seller's asking price.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,425 Times in 12,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Angel, I can shed some light on the original question. The mentioned Trojan 12ga is an example. Owned by Ed Muderlak for maybe 5 years, he sold it to Mark Vollinger. The gun was an ordinary late 12ga Trojan, new in the box, never assembled, wrapping paper. He sold the gun privately for his asking price of $6500?, then Mark had it a year or two, then sold it at Julia's for $10,000. This was a few years ago during the high prices.

I saw a couple near new 12ga V's go for $12,000 a few years ago, no box no wrapping paper. There are substantially unshot B's that went in the low 20's. In this economy, my guess would be maybe low 10's again, not anywhere near $30,000.

These guns retain their value by their non use, and the wise person who pays a premium for a new gun would not use it, because there are enough little used high condition guns around to satisfy that urge. I own a new near high grade and do not use it and display it only in its case. An acquaintance in Virginia has astounding near new or new guns, does not shoot them, and displays them only in controlled circumstances and wears white cotton gloves. You have to be very careful because people will want to pick these guns up and start waving them around. I'll disgress a bit.... I have seen people at gunshows drinking Coke ( think acid) put the drink down on your table and start picking up guns.

That's my views, gathered by listening and looking at Julia's where some of the best pass. Its only part of the picture and others follow the matter also. I invite other's views.

Bruce, those are very astute observations and I couldn't agree more.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #36
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,654 Times in 1,567 Posts

Call me a fool, but... about a dozen years ago I bought an unfired factory vent rib M42 .410. I shoot the gun occasionally on skeet fields or clays courses and enjoy shooting it as much as any gun I own. It is probably one of the last guns I will ever sell

Last edited by John Dallas; 10-22-2011 at 12:27 PM..
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #37
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,425 Times in 12,427 Posts

It is a decision that the "current curator" alone must make. "Unfired" or "New" guns are rare, scarce or unique and as far as collectibility is concerned, it munt be a very considered decision because, to shoot an unfired or new gun immediately removes it from that category forever.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #38
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Angel, if you have a real opportunity and are serious about an unused Parker , in addition to Eric, there are a couple people I can refer you to for guidance. PM me and I'll put you in contact.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #39
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Ouch, looks like I was off, and no reflection on your great guns, Eric. But, that is a special rare one, skeet and a small bore. A genuine offer such as Eric had sets value much more than a seller's asking price.
Yes it was a genuine offer and I probably should have taken it, but I didn't want to sell the gun. I will probably kick myself at a later date ! Some guns come and go and others well they speak to you in someway. I don't think that the gun has been put together, it's a time capsule and that's the reason it will never be fired or put together under my watch. I know others say why own a gun if you can't shoot it and mostly I agree with that but there are times when you just can't....
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #40
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you for the offer Bruce. I know the opinions are many but I would love to be the first one to use and unfired Parker. I don't think it would hurt as much after the first few times. And it would definetly be easier to take out after the first ding or scratch.