Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,315 Times in 450 Posts

Although I spend more days afield every year chasing the gaudy import from China. My favorite game bird by far is the Hungarian Partridge.

There's nothing like following my French brit's on the steppes of the North American west. Then having the boy's lock down a covey of hun's and having them explode in that pissed off covey rise as only Hun's can do.

Having a Parker repro. 28ga in your hands is simply icing on the cake.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #22
Quail1
Forum Associate

Member Info

The answer for me is similar to visit to Baskin Robbins with the kids... all great choices, none bad.

The last few seasons though, I would say the Mearns quail. With a covey of 8-12 birds that hold like no other, and literally explode unseen at your feet as you walk in, like bees from a nest, dodging and darting for the typically tight cover. Living in a land of knee high golden grasses and rolling hills of oaks. Beautiful, and unexpected, on the northern border of Old Mexico. It's close and fast....and heartstopping!

January and Februarys at 60 degrees are a treat after the cold northern snows for both the hunter and the dogs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freds Camera 049.jpg (528.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Freds Camera 130.jpg (558.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Freds Camera 067.jpg (557.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 126_2631.jpg (530.0 KB, 10 views)
Fred Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Lowe For Your Post:
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ruffed Grouse with hopefully occasional woodcock. Huns are also greatly appreciated.
Trigg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
Tim Earney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Grouse with a 16 Parker over a classy English Setter! it doesn't get any better.
Tim Earney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Earney For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #25
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

a eastern turkey in full strut with the old 8 ga parker in hand at 35 yards.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #26
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I would have to agree with Richard ol' gentleman bob the flush of a cubby and then chasing singles. And yes there an't no bad icecream. shurbert isn't icecream right ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Honk, Honk, Honk- Bang, Bang- thump (usually)
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #27
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Honk, Honk, Honk- Bang, Bang- thump (usually)

Guess I am the only die-hard Canada goose hunter to post here (so far)--To me, and the way I prefer to hunt, waiting for a shot (or two) at a big ol' Canada is- deer hunting, steelhead fishing, all the senses keen for the sound of approaching big birds- mallards and some divers of course, but Canada is king for me--

Surprised that no one (again, so far) has mentioned The Dove- the last bird hunt my gunning hero- the late T. Nash Buckingham, had afield was for the dove- no open season here in The Great Lake State (sadly)--I have shot doves in some of the Southern States in past years, not much on quails however-

All are good- best on the table, IMO- roasted wild pheasant with bacon and bread crumble stuffing, and a heavy sauce of crushed cranberries and diced onions covering the bird(s) for the last 15 minutes under the Reynolds Wrap tent (to seal in the moisture)-- wild rice with mushrooms, buttered asparagus spears, tossed Caesar salad sans anchoives, a fine Chardonnay or Piesporter or Pinot Gringo- the choice is yours, and of course, Parker House Rolls- Bon Apetit!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #28
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

My passion is hunting the Ruffed Grouse. I have seen a scant handful of Woodcocks, also. Aside from the 3 or 4 Spruce Grouse I have taken over the past 35 years, the Ruffies are all we have for gamebirds in my neck o' the woods. No complaints, though.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #29
Steve Selvig
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm suprised no one has nominated the wonderful prairie grouse, Sharptails and Chickens. The hunter gets to walk his legs off, watching some beautiful dog work amid the best country a man could find. The flushes are either off the Setter's nose at ten yards or extra full ranges (or more). Should you carry the 30" full and fuller or the 26" cut-barrel cyl/cyl? Twelve or twenty? 7's or 5's? Trust me, whatever your choice, you shoulda' brought the other one. You are more likely to bump a new covey than find singles after the flush. The good news, seasons are early and the weather is usually delightful, crisp with a little frost to hold scent for the dogs in the morning. By afternoon you hunt from windmill to windmill, not because of where the birds might be but to cool off the dogs.

On the table, the best!

Steve

"A man has to believe in something. I believe I'll go hunting today!"
Steve Selvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #30
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

Steve: If the Member info is correct and this is indeed your first post - well, that's a fine first post. Welcome.

I believe I believe what you believe. I can go hunting every day now, just that 9 months of the year it has to be with a Canon, not a cannon but the other three months the old smooth bores have their season. The dogs are lucky. Their noses follow scents every day.

Richard: Thanks for starting this thread. Great responses so far.

Cheers,
Jack