Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,327 Times in 2,083 Posts

Ejectors do add probably $1000-1500 to the cost but it comes back when the gun is sold/traded. I seem to be going the other way lately as I just added a 16ga 0 frame hammer gun to the safe I left the house today with no guns as I was picking up a gun Eric had brought back for me from the Vintagers and came home with 3

I once picked off three Quail on a covey rise with a VHE 410 skeet gun. That would not have happened with extractors
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jack, At -22F any gun could fail to operate. What sort of lubricant do you use in your guns to prevent the thick goo problem? At +10F I have seen a hammer fail to fall with enough force to fire. David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

David: I have yet to use a hammer gun but as for all the rest, when I clean them, all parts get a light coat of gun oil. For sliding components on pumps or autos they don't get wiped nearly so thin. The way my new GHE is performing, I'm thinking the others may not see the light outside the steel tombs this year. So far, the cold has not caused me gun problems, just hand problems. But, I persevere.

A couple years back with a new to me VH, I thought I was having a cold issue. The safety slide became more and more difficult to operate. I set it aside and carried on with the backup gun (always take two). When I got home, I dismantled the VH and found the problem was not frozen goo, rather the slide pin had disengaged. It may have been the first time that gun was ever opened, so it got the full treatment and reassembled with the pin properly in place. It has worked flawlessly since, even in the cold.

I know in late December, much to Kay's consternation, I will be out there testing my cold tolerance again. Nothing quite like roaming around on snowshoes and having a rooster explode out of cover with a shower of snow glittering in the sun lit but frozen world.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Jack Cronkhite; 10-04-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Jack Cronkhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Captain Paul A. Curtis- 1934
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #24
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Captain Paul A. Curtis- 1934

Guns and Gunning- still a great read yet today- "No gun can be considered to be modern without selective ejectors today"-- To me, the key word is "selective" as many single barrel shotguns (Iver Johnson Champion, etc) eject, but every time the gun is opened, whether the shell was fired or not.

Most of my "using" 12 side-by-sides have ejectors, all have double triggers. I started shooting with a 20 M12, still shoot M12's a lot today, so ejection is a "given" with a pump or autoloader- and as I use my doubles for waterfowling and tower released birds, I like the ejectors.

I do agree with you gents about picking up the empties- a old habit and a good one, and there extractors "rule the roost" for convenience in doing that. Even though 90% of my waterfowling is done on private property, I don't like to leave evidence of my being there. And for the pigeon and crow shooting I do almost year-round on dairy farms, picking up the empties, whether plastic or paper, tells your farmer host that you respect his property, and also prevents dairy or beef cattle from ingesting an empty and a possible expensive vet bill.

The old adage from Hippocrates- "First, do no harm" also applies in spades to how we treat the landowners who allow us to hunt and shoot on their lands-ejector guns or extractor guns-- either type depending on your shooting habits, and in some cases, pocketbook. I like both!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote