Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just received a call from my boys in the goose pit outside Rock Hall, MD. Limits of Canadas, yesterday by 11 a.m. and working on a limit this chilly day (it was 15F this a.m.). Ducks are scarce. Last day in MD tomorrow...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #22
peter holden
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Bruce.
Nothing goes to waste, everthing is cooked and eaten.
i wouldnt dream of shooting fowl/game and not eating it.

Pete.
peter holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #23
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Bruce,

In my experience, the folks in the UK are much more familiar with game on the table than we folks here in the US. You can still buy wild game at the butcher shop on that side of the water. We took a batch of widgeon into Aberdeen (Scotland) once and sold them to an actual wild game dealer. We'd shot them the last evening we were there and just didn't have the opportunity to get them into better hands.

Peter,

I was particularly interested in decoying the plover when I went over the first time. I went so far as to have a dozen decoys carved to take along and a friend from Malta sent both my English friend and I some calls they use down there. After a bit of practice I had the plover working right in to the whistle and made a couple of nice bags.

Here's a pic of my gear after my best afternoon:

What sort of decoys do you use? My English friend has some SportPlast Brand ones from Italy that look pretty good though they aren't vintage style by any means. If I was going again I'd get another dozen whittled up. I tried just my dozen at first and did have shooting but when I put both rigs out together I really got them coming in.

Regards,
Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #24
peter holden
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry.
i have wood decoys that i carved and painted, but i prefer the silhouette ones i made.
I made these by finding a suitable picture of a goldie on the internet, increased its size slightly then take a print of it, cut it out, glue and varnish it to the silhouette.
It is easy, cheap, and quick to produce 30 or 40 of these. They arent bulky to carry and because goldies usually fly in a pre determined direction using silhouettes doesnt present a problem. I usually make the silhouttes from thin plywood or aluminium.
Thats a good bag of goldies you got there Destry im sure that would be a memorable sessions shooting.
Im just about to go and try and get a few snipe with the .410 its a perfect frosty morning here and hopefully they will sit tight long enough for me to get a bit of sport.

regards Pete.
Unread 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #25
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Peter,

Thats a great idea, though I like a few full bodies in amongst a rig of silhouettes just to give it some depth. My experience being with geese rather than shorebirds but still a similar situation. I agree on the size of the rig for plover, 30 or 40 would be perfect. On my best shoot I had about 25 or more out and it made a big difference to the original dozen. One of these days I'm going to go back out to the Western Isles and spend a little more time on them. I'd love to try them out on the tide flats, we did all of our shooting in pastures during the high tides when they were inland.

Regards,
Destry

P.S. How did you do on the snipe? Does anybody over there still use a pointing dog for them? They did in the old days here from what I've read though as wild as they are some days I can't imagine a dog would be much help a lot of the time other than for pickup.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 01-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #26
peter holden
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry.
I dont know of anyone here that uses a pointer for snipe. to be honest not that many people can be bothered to put the time and effort in for snipe.
I managed 7 which i was pleased with given this time of the season, they were excellent sport with the .410
I am going to have a go at the canadas tonight, there are about 1,700 on the local estuary.

regards Peter.
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #27
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry- don't forget to bring your "tinnies"...
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #28
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

If I had a dozen I'd bring them along for sure, I think I've got maybe one.....

DLH
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #29
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

How do they know?...I am up to over 50 birds in the flock I am "supporting" on my creek. I was in Michigan last week on business for 3 days and I was afraid they'd leave but when I pulled in the drive on Thursday after our second blizzard in a week there they were...mallards and a few blacks mixed in. I switched the "support" to a mixture of molasses covered whole corn and wheat. They are going through 12 lbs. a day. This morning they were joined by a little knot of at least 6 pintail drakes- a beautiful sight. All but a few mallards flushed up the creek a 100 yards or so when I walked down the bank with my bucket. I am sure the word is now out that good things can come from silver Mercedes SUVs idling near creeks.