Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-20-2024, 08:51 PM   #21
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Stauch View Post
The USPS is THE most expensive of all of these, by far.
Every time I compare shipping charges on ANYTHING UPS and FedEx are more expensive than USPS. JME.

Anyway, I'm not buying or selling guns online but I do occasionally send/receive a gun for repair.
Unread 07-20-2024, 09:04 PM   #22
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

I agree with Phil. I’ve had an auction house send me a gun via USPS registered mail. They got back to me to give me the cost instead of their preferred UPS carrier. They called me back and said USPS was cheaper.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2024, 08:57 AM   #23
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,361 Times in 4,726 Posts

I have recently stated using Pirate Ship which handles USPS and UPS shipment.

The main reason was because of issues with the postal services website. I have used it for years but the last 8 months or so have been totally problematic and unreliable for me. It would work less than half the time and I found myself more having to ship at the counter again because of it. And their customer service regarding the issue was useless.

So I decided to use Pirate Ship and they have been great so far. And cheaper than retail.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-21-2024, 04:21 PM   #24
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,654 Times in 354 Posts

They started this about 2 years ago. UPS and Fedex will not take a gun from a non FFL even if you have an account with them. FFL holders must have current accounts with them or they will not take a gun from them. The post office is expensive and slow,but is the only way for a non FFL the ship a gun. The post office will only take a gun if you provide them with a copy of the receiving FFLs license. The easiest way to ship now is to make arrangements for your local FFL to do your shipping and receiving.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2024, 04:45 PM   #25
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,067 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
They started this about 2 years ago. UPS and Fedex will not take a gun from a non FFL even if you have an account with them. FFL holders must have current accounts with them or they will not take a gun from them. The post office is expensive and slow,but is the only way for a non FFL the ship a gun. The post office will only take a gun if you provide them with a copy of the receiving FFLs license. The easiest way to ship now is to make arrangements for your local FFL to do your shipping and receiving.
That ''DOUBLES'' the cost, and Gun shop, (FFL dealers) would love to see that put into law, and that's a Fact. You have to know your FACTS & COST.
(All the Way with Trump)
Harry
Harry Gietler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2024, 05:24 PM   #26
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
They started this about 2 years ago. UPS and Fedex will not take a gun from a non FFL even if you have an account with them. FFL holders must have current accounts with them or they will not take a gun from them. The post office is expensive and slow,but is the only way for a non FFL the ship a gun. The post office will only take a gun if you provide them with a copy of the receiving FFLs license.?? The easiest way to ship now is to make arrangements for your local FFL to do your shipping and receiving.
Experiences seem to be all over the place! I have received guns through UPS and FedEx but have never tried to ship with them because I've always found USPS to be cheaper. Not as much cheaper any more since they instituted the surcharge for long packages. USPS is rather inconsistent; can be show at times but not always. Never has the post office refused to take a gun from me, nor have they ever asked for FFL's etc. I have private insurance so I don't insure through the carrier. I can only speak to my personal experiences.
Unread 07-21-2024, 05:31 PM   #27
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,333 Times in 3,301 Posts

Agreed Phil

I have shipped several though USPS And never been asked for FFL info

UPS tried to refuse to ship a non inletted stock blank because it was a “gun part”
(It was a rifle blank so the package shape caused the question)
Unread 07-21-2024, 05:44 PM   #28
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,361 Times in 4,726 Posts

Yes, the postal service regs state shipping to ffl to mirror the atf regs. But they do not have to verify. If fact, they dont even have to ask you what you are actually shipping. If any clerk insists on you disclosing exactly what you are shipping, they are acting on their own in doing so.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-21-2024, 05:52 PM   #29
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,290 Times in 524 Posts

I have used the counter at a couple different USPS locations exclusively and have never had a problem.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2024, 07:34 PM   #30
MaggieMollie
PGCA Member

Member Info

FedEx will ship a gun from a private non-FFL individual - I just sent a gun for repair by FedEx 3 weeks ago. However, it has to go to a FedEx registered FFL that is in their system. My mistake was I addressed it to the individual and FedEx refused but when I said he was an FFL they asked if he had a business name, he did, it was registered with FedEx, and off it went no issue with $5k insurance.

UPS is another story. They refused shipment even when I said it was going to an FFL for repair. They said I needed an FFL to ship.

USPS has no issues.
RonKiska is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RonKiska For Your Post: