Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,190 Posts

I've had the wood pigeon baked in a pie and it was excellent.

The morning I spent on them in Dorset wasn't a big day but fun none the less, I think we killed about 30 between the three of us.

The Northern Ireland strain is larger than the ones down in England. I'd heard that but didn't quite believe it, once I killed my first I got to be a believer. It was considerably larger than the ones we'd shot in Dorset.

I'm envious of the magpie, never had a chance to shoot one on my trips over there. Did get to shoot a few carrion and hooded crows, always nice to write another species down on the life list.

Destry

P.S. to C Grade: I wanted to shoot pigeons when I was in Argentina but they didn't have any concentrations on their leases. Going again for my birthday in June, hopefully we'll get into a few on that trip. I did managed to kill a few out duck shooting but a real shoot on them down there would be interesting.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
david ross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the reply Fancis.
I don't know much abount Ernest Hemingway but he sounds interesting may get the new
book Hemingways guns.
PS i only shoot 1 for 2 on a good day most days it's more.
david ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
david ross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry.
Yes we do shoot carrion crows and magpies plus jays.
Crows are real pest on sheep farms so i allways try to shoot them when i can.
Thanks Dave.
Unread 03-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
david ross
PGCA Member

Member Info

I do and have drank cold beer some times to much ?
Unread 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here's a couple of me on my wood pigeon shoot:

With a BH grade Parker even!

My friend Jerry's dog bringing one in, out of my only double that day I believe.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
Boxbirder
Forum Associate

Member Info

A regular Major Archie Coats there.
Mark Parela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #27
david ross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry.
Nince to see you in the flesh. I hope you had good day on the rape crop as it can be a
very hard crop to keep the pigeons comeing for regular shooting . It used to be good when there was one or two fields in your farm and no more in the area.Now there is a
lot of rape grown every where so the birds have more choise. You can still get good bags
but not as good as i used to be in the good old days.
All the best Dave.
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #28
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

There was a lot more flesh to see in those days, I'm down about 65 pounds as of the last time I stepped on the scale.

I took a ton of pictures on that trip, it was probably the best I had, but something happened to my film and very few of them actually came out. So it's just mostly my memories, plenty enough for me thankfully.

In two weeks I flighted pinkfoot geese and ducks outside Aberdeen, decoyed greylag geese in Perthshire, did driven pheasants in the Dorset Hills, driven woodcock near Oakhampton, driven ducks again in Dorset, the wood pigeon shoot in Dorset, decoyed ducks on Poole Harbor, plus another goose flight on feral canadas in Dorset.

To say I was well traveled and well gunned would put it mildly. My English friends really know how to show a visiting shooter a good time. I'd go again in a minute but my main shooting friend over there has really slowed down the past couple of years. I need to give him a call actually, we've not spoken in ages.

Destry
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #29
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

destrey that was some hunt..i hope you get to return to that place soon... that piegon gun did not look like the usal 10 ga i see you carrying...look like it had short barrels... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #30
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

It was a good one, as good a time as I ever had with a gun. I doubt I ever get to do anything like it again, the stars were aligned perfectly for all that to happen.

The gun is my old super beater BH I bought from Muderlak years ago. It's a 12 gauge, 28 inch barrels, choked cyl and light imp cyl, barrels have been cut from 30 inch. I took it over there as an all around gun for the game shooting.

I used an 8 gauge on the geese, everything else was 12 gauge work. I had a 10 bore along but the English loaded shells that were available to me were so hot they made it jump open when I fired it. I never saw a 10 gauge shell act that way except the old 3 1/2 inch 1 7/8 ounce bismuth factory loads, those are super super hot and will wreck a gun as well.

Destry