Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #21
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

I can't speak for Wells Fargo marked Parkers. I do have a Wells Fargo marked Colt pistol. It is a .38 caliber DA New Army revolver SN 268554. That SN is mentioned in a magazine article entitled: "Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Colt Firearms. The Double Action .38 Army Revolver Model 1892-1903" by O.C. Young. Mr Young was kind enough to send me a copy of his article. "WF&Co." is roll stamped on the buttstrap.

In his article Mr. Young quotes from Wells Fargo issued guidelines: " Wells Fargo instructions to Agents July 1, 1914 Pg 16 219. FIREARMS FOR DEFENSIVE PURPOSES WILL BE FURNISHED EMPLOYEES having money or valuables in charge, where superintendent deems necessary. Employees with firearms must always have them where they can be reached immediately! 220 FIREARMS TO BE KEPT READY FOR USE, employees must carry revolvers loaded in the holsters, outside of all clothing, and ready for instant use."

He goes on to state: "During the approximate first 40 years in business Wells Fargo used a variety of firearms. Weapons of various manufactures were used, encompassing shotguns, revolvers and rifles finding them in various calibers and styles.These variations observed have been: Smith & wesson Schofields, percussion Colts, cartridge Colts, S&W Americans, New Model #3s, Star Arms, Sharps, Remington, Greener, Winchesters and many others. This was created by the fact that Wells Fargo did not have centralized purchasing, and individual branches were responsible for supplying arms for security & defense."

My Colt was shipped to Wells Fargo in Chicago, Illinois on March 12, 1904 one of a lot of five.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Lander For Your Post: