Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 02-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #21
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,420 Times in 1,252 Posts

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a Parker smallbore coming. So now I want to share more info for some laughs.

I'll start by saying that Toolman is a very good friend and he knows I’m going to post this. He has a good sense of humor - and we often joke with each other and friends on SxS gun dealings good & bad. Tool got this started when he pulled a real spoof on me about 4 years ago; he emailed to ask what I thought a ratty 12 gauge/32 inch/straight grip AE Fox was worth (he knows I like 32 inchers and sg guns). He went on, that a gent at his skeet club had it, and Tool had an elaborate story how he was trying to mooch up to the guy. I hit it, hook line & sinker. We went back and forth, and he kept asking questions for tech info and advice. I offered to buy the gun if he passed. He wrote later that he got the AE but wasn't sure it was a good deal, maybe he'd flip it? Then when we were both at Pintail Point for the Vintage Cup, he handed me the case with the ratty AE, which turned out to be Jos Kautzky’s personal XE Grade/32-inch Fox. Tool had let all the other Fox guys in on it and he’d scammed me big time.

This has gone on and on since then with each of us trying to spoof each other on guns we see or hear about. So when I got a heads up on a nice smallbore Parker from a good friend and real gentleman, I had to really put it to Mr. Toolman. First I told him it was a CHE 28 bore, and of course he didn’t believe me. So I fed out more line and bait for a few days but still wouldn’t tell him what it was.

Here’s a transcript of our texts over the last two days when the Parker was getting close (gun is a very nice VH 20-bore/28-incher). I’ve cleaned up some of the language, and deleted some stuff about other things, and I hope you enjoy reading these txts …..

Frank: “so the Parker smallbore finally made it to the sorting center in Allentown. Hopefully will be here tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed.”

Tool: “Ok (name of noted gun dealer deleted here) you’ve been roastin’ my chestnuttz for a week … time to lay the cards down … whatcha get??? A GHE straight grip, 20 bore, 28” ???”

Frank: “ Hey remember how I put up with you for 4 weeks or so before the DGJ came …. on that Averill parker you were keeping close to your chest? And that was 4 weeks before I knew who Averill was. You got 3 weeks to go buddy.”

Tool: “Haaaaaaa….. I forgot about that one….gotta admit that was an epic smoke screen!!!!!!”

Frank: “Nope not a GHE 20 straight grip. But it is a 20 bore.”

Tool: “OK ….. I’ll wait for pics resting next to a PA oven stuffer part deux”

Frank: “Just got confirmation it’s on the truck. Cyl & modified. NY grouse season still open for 4 weeks.”

Tool: - no reply

Frank: “Aahhh…..light snow falling and barely rustling the frozen leaves, a little patter and then the thunder of a brown rocket. You catch a glimpse, russet and black, and then swing on the bird. Just a little daylight ahead and touch off the blue Peters with its crack of lightning. The sharp bark of the gun and there’s some tiny feathers afloating. A wisp of smoke curls from the muzzle as you cradle the bird and think of those long ago days with the Parker Brothers’ finest.”

Tool: “You’re one twisted dude.”

Frank: “Look who’s talking. Hahaha”

Frank: “unpacking now. Woohoo!”

Tool: “Ok GB EVANS… wtf is it…Spillers VHE??? Come on now!!!”

Frank – waits ½ hour without texting.

Tool: “Send Proof-of-Life cell phone photo or all bets are off as this could be another scam!!”

Frank – sends cell phone pic but deliberately not a close up

Tool: “What is it?? VHE?? Damascus? Can’t tell from pics. Come on now.... Looks nice !!!!

Tool: “Congrats”

So, how do you spell touché ?

Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,586 Times in 12,457 Posts

Uh Frank, you forgot to post pictures.... you trying to scam all of us now?

Come on, Toolman deserves it but have a little mercy on your friends here.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, no scam intended. But I'm a little superstitious on some things and want to hunt with the VH before doing pics ..... NY grouse season is still open until the 28th I think and hopefully snow won't be too deep after this weekend storm and I can get out to a friend's place in the Catskills. Besides if I post more now I won't be able to continue this tale for the PP.
Unread 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The fact that you refer to your new acquisition as "the VH" rather than 'the Parker' leaves me wondering what the grade really is....

If you need props to photo your new Parker with, I can send you a couple of grouse I have frozen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here ya go Dean. Same cell pic I sent to Toolman. More after I hunt with her. PARKER VH 20-bore, 28-inch, approx 1906-07 gun.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

NICE one Frank! I'm a believer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #27
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,508 Posts

Nice one Frank. A VH 20 will always have a spot in my heart. Nuttin' fancy but just like a nice clean A grade smallbore Fox they are classic.
Unread 02-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #28
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

Frank, This is a great thread. Whoever tipped you off this to this great gun must be a very good friend!
Unread 02-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #29
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes he sure is Dave. And now I can tell everyone that the gentleman who put me on to this VH 20, is no other than Mr. Autumn Daze. And even Toolman didn't know that until now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: