Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #21
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Kenny I would wait to have the chambers lengthened. You always have the option of having them lengthened but never the option of putting them back to original.

I have become interested/obsessed in shooting paper and brass hulls loaded with fiber wads. Both in nitro and black powder. Back when that was all that was available there were some warnings from the contemporaneous gunning writers about shooting short shells in long chambers.

And what does that do for you - lengthening the chambers?

I agree that that is a really cool set up. I would take the 28" barrels bobwhite hunting and the 32s dove hunting.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by Mike Shepherd; 01-19-2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: because I can't type and think at the same time
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

According to DGJ tests, it will decrease chamber pressure by about 300psi ( out of maybe 9000psi total) which will in turn have a small effect on recoil pounds. You might get 19 pounds of recoil instead of 20.

Not significant to me, but its not my gun and not my money.

Some people desire these 0 frame 16's because of light weight and some get close to 6lbs, but these light 16's are notorious as hard kickers. If a person wants one for hunting in which he carries a gun all day and gets off a few shots, then maybe recoil doesn't matter so much. If you are concentrating on the bird and wearing a coat, you are probably not even aware of the recoil. But if he is going to shoot a round of 100 sporting clays, maybe the heavier gun is the better alternative. Playing with chamber length to reduce pressure and velocity ( velocity is part of the recoil equation) is only going to help by a very small amount. The reduction in chamber pressure is insignificant to a strong barrel.

I have several 16's in fluid steel and damascus, all are around 6 3/4lbs and are 1 frame ejector guns. I'd like to find the right 0 frame 16 some day, I shot one in SoDak that was a great little gun. The lightest of the 16's seem to be the plain wood, 26" extractor guns, which are usually V grades.

Even with a 6 3/4lb gun 16 , I like these 7/8 oz 2 1/2dram loads, much nicer on my shoulder than the standard 1 oz 2 1/2dram load if I am shooting a round of 100. But of course a big, meaty guy might not even feel the heavier loads. I'm kinda bony.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,308 Times in 446 Posts

Kenny,

This is just my opinion. Don't do it!!

Those barrels have been wearing their original chamber lengths since they shipped from Meridan. Once you've lengthen them they will be altered forever. The thing that makes your gun special is it's a 0-Frame 16ga two barrel set that is serial numbered correctly. The 32" barrels are what really makes it a cool fairly rare gun. Altering the barrels will only put you in a position of having to make excuses if you ever want to sell the gun.

Here's a little food for thought. With the advent of the internet, the great collecting groups like this one, the various periodicals, and the avalibilty of the various measuring instruments for individuals to own & use. The gun buying public is getting educated on what is correct and what has been altered on the gun they are thinking about purchasing. Originality has always been king and always will be with these Parkers. It's one thing to refinish or restore a gun that has seen use, it's another thing when the gun has been altered from original spec's.

Everything we do to them effects the value of them one way or another, either for the good or bad.

You've stated your planning on using RST's in the short barrels anyway. Just shoot them in the 32" ones as well and enjoy the gun for what it is.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,308 Times in 446 Posts

FYI,

I pulled out my 0-frame 16 with .664 bore dia. 28" barrels. The barrels are stamped 3lb even but weigh in @ 2lb 9oz on my digital postal scale. So it looks like 7oz were stuck off of these.

Even with barrels this lite the gun still comes in @ 6lb 1oz. Wood density also plays a factor in the over all weight of the gun.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote