Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #21
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,212 Times in 4,914 Posts

For true collectors, replacement of this pad would be an expensive mistake. I don't care if it does self destruct in the next seven or twenty seven years of use, it would be better than a fresh Silver. If the pad to be replaced is a Pachmayr, that would be different.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #22
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

that is one dam fine looking gun.

make of her what you want her to be and enjoy her. you will do fine either way.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I'd replace the pad with one like Deans, which, unlike most every other useless recoil pad in existence, actually do reduce felt recoil, keep the original, and not touch the rest.... and be very kind to it in the coverts. What can that possibly hurt??
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #24
Bruce A Lyons
PGCA Member

Member Info

Anybody got a 32 Packard or 57 T-Bird thats all origional? Are the tires and brakes OE?
bruce a lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce a lyons For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #25
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,407 Times in 313 Posts

I've seen the faces of "true collectors" and there is a lot of white hair.
Might the next generation of "true collectors" feel differently about restoration?
I'm kind of wondering if there will be any interest at all in the relics we covet.
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #26
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Cash View Post
I'm kind of wondering if there will be any interest at all in the relics we covet.
Bobby I wonder the same thing and at times have contemplated the pluses and minuses of selling most everything while there is still a market for them. So far the minuses are winning
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #27
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

One thing I think could really kill the market for these guns is a federal lead ban ala California. Hopefully if that did happen the alternatives would get cheaper. I'd still use these guns for hunting. But those who use them to do a lot of skeet/trap shooting- that would be an expensive proposition at current prices.
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #28
Greg Phillips
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rich,

keep this beauty as is, same pad, barrel finish, enjoy...nice gun
Greg Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Phillips For Your Post:
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

I also worry about a lead ban as being devastating to value and field use. I also wonder about collector interest from future generations. The bottom line is that guns have not generally proven to be strong long-term investments. I'm not sure how replacing the pad and retaining the old one is of any harm to the value of the gun, if the old pad is retained. The old pad would still be fit to the gun, right?

My wife is on a kick about tearing the roof off of our house for a $200K face lift. Her stated goal was to increase our resale value, but in the next breath said she has no plans for us to sell the house. Our neighbors have been taking on these same projects and then capturing a tidy profit in the current intown Atlanta real estate market. I feel my questions to her parallel this discussion:

1) Do we know what the market will bring for our face lift investment years from now when /if we decide to sell? Will the market be stronger than current, or might economic conditions take another nasty turn for some unforeseen reason?

2) How are we to know what layout (see condition) the next owner will prefer? Might we be better off standing pat until ready to sell, at which time we can let the then current market determine if we should sell as is, or renovate and then sell?

I suggested that we should proceed with the renovation if the goal is strictly for our own enjoyment, but that we shouldn't presume that any investment in our home will necessarily result in a profit at an unknown future point in time. My current regret is that I didn't have that conversation before she had already spent $5000 with an architect.

When I hunt with my old guns, I like to think about the who's and where's the old girls might have visited. That's why I LOVE a little carry wear. Pristine, unused condition is a pleasure to see, but those guns also have a little less nostalgia in my mind. When I see a "restored" shotgun, I can't help but feel like the person who did the work forever washed away the hand prints of the previous owner, effectively exorcising their ghosts from the gun. That's just me. Obviously others see it different, otherwise people like Turnbull wouldn't be in business.
Unread 02-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #30
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

Will, your term "forever exorcising their ghosts from the gun." is the opinion I have always held but could never express it in the way you so eloquently did.
I can appreciate the work of Turnbull, Trevallion, and others because they keep as closely as possible to the original in their restorations but again, the fingerprints and the ghosts are gone.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: