Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #21
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,743 Times in 3,157 Posts

Very true, Keith. However, $5k is a long way from what a “collector” grade 3 twenty gauge will command. I paid well almost half what Thomas offered, but two things worked in my favor; I was buying from a brand new Cabelas, whose gun library manager ( how do I say this politely?) was not up on these ‘ antiques’, and I’m frugal (as in Scottish frugal). In the end, I now have that cut gun, a well fitted set of original length 26” , and a well fitted 30” set which is what the gun was originally.
Which gun draws more attention? A cut high condition gun, or an original gun with no remaining case colors, worn bluing, and less than appealing wood? Therein lies the angst
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2020, 11:13 PM   #22
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very true on the 5K. In answer to the question "Which gun draws the most attention" just let me say I'm in the painful process of having a CH sleeved ( had bad pitting and an MWT under .017 not to the bottom of any pits). But, I bought it right and it's just a very nice gun, worth returning to shooting condition. Guess it probably won't be a letter gun when I swing it over my Smoker dog (AKA Smokey) this November, doubt she'll care. I wont!
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #23
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

The barrels also look hot blued to me.
Unread 07-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #24
Thomas Baumgardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well guys, after some consideration, I offered $2,000 for the 20 gauge DHE with cut barrels, after withdrawing my original offer, and the seller took it. Not a collector, but skeleton butt plate, original but refinished stock, Miller trigger and after market beavertail forearm. No case colors. Who knows, once I get to pattern the cut barrels it may not be so bad. I feel I got a good deal. What do you think? Did I do OK? Much better than $5,000.
Thomas Baumgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Baumgardner For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #25
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,591 Times in 779 Posts

Listen, if it patterns to your likings d it fits you and you shoot it well then ok you got a deal if not at that price, pass it on down the road and you won’t get hurt. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck and please keep us informed
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #26
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,004 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Baumgardner View Post
Well guys, after some consideration, I offered $2,000 for the 20 gauge DHE with cut barrels, after withdrawing my original offer, and the seller took it. Not a collector, but skeleton butt plate, original but refinished stock, Miller trigger and after market beavertail forearm. No case colors. Who knows, once I get to pattern the cut barrels it may not be so bad. I feel I got a good deal. What do you think? Did I do OK? Much better than $5,000.
I think if it puts a Parkers you really wanted in your hands you normally couldnt spend the $ then its a good deal .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #27
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,267 Posts

Well said Keith
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #28
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thomas, lets hope your purchase exceeds your expectations, then you will have made a super bargain.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Budgeon For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #29
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thomas, I hope you get the gun in, find it to your liking, and it patterns well for your needs. Edgar's right, if you like it, shoot it. If you decide it's just not to your liking, you aren't in so deep you can't get out, or you may decide (like myself and others)that while it's not ever going to be a perfect "letter" gun, it's just a personal treasure and worth spending some money adding a barrel set or some other work. Enjoy and good shooting!
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 08-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #30
Thomas Baumgardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Follow up report on My 20 gauge DHE with cut barrels. I used 1oz 71/2 shot at 40 yards and the right barrel patterned shy of 40% and the left pattered at just under 45%. When I shot at 25 yards, obvious improvement with right barrel pattering at close to Skeet and the left barrel Improved Cylinder. I am very pleased with the results. Also noticed a Remington Repair Code PNN3 and a weep hole in front of the barrel lug. There is no reference to any repairs in my Research Letter, could the repair code be for reblued barrels? Just a thought. Tom
Thomas Baumgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Baumgardner For Your Post: