Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Simmonds and MoneyMaker- maybe even Pachmayr?
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Simmonds and MoneyMaker- maybe even Pachmayr?

How many "after market" rib installers were there back in "The Day"- The original Gifford Simmons 1926 designed ventilated rib on the set of 32" Nitro barrels my older 2E Smith has are original (I have a copy of the work order card and the new barrels are serialed to the gun-

I think a raised ventilated rib- to my vision and perspective, seems to "fore-shorten" a bit the barrel length when you mount the gun and shoot- I always hold the gun low and under the expected target- whether a crossing orange clay disc or a pair of incoming mallards- butt under my armpit, then move and mount- If I shot Trap doubles with either this Smith or my friend's M21 32" VR Trap Grade 12-with the gun premounted, perhaps the view of barrel length might seem different- I like the VR on a live bird and waterfowling gun, for a quail or pheasant side-by, I prefer std. 28" with regular file cut rib- to each his own!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,978 Times in 4,806 Posts

Francis, is this Gifford Simmons mentioned in a book on the L.C. Smith gun or did you do your research somewhere else? Your Smith and my Smith are the only ones I have ever heard of with Hunter Arms installed vent ribs on guns made before the introduction of vent ribs by Smith. I don't have provenance of the installation of my rib, nor do I know whether the barrels are replacement barrels or whether just the rib was replaced. I do know that it is my favorite Smith and the only one I shoot on a regular basis. My vent rib 32" Smith is an OE Grade made about 1907.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote