Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #21
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have heard this kind of topic of discussion for a long, long time.

Here are my thoughts: From the scores given and a possibility to replicate the day, time, etc. I suspect the higher score would get the higher score regardless of ammo. The ability of that individual to read his targets and put his gun/shot load where it needed to be should remain the same and thus that shooter would duplicate (or close) his performance.

I would also propose that each shooter must practice with the gun, choke and load(s) said shooter intends to use in order to gain familiarity with said performance. When I was coaching my collegiate shotgun team I had several top shooters that would screw in one set or one choke tube (semi autos) and go through a round with one type of ammo and get the job done. Most of these young folks has shot 1000's of competition targets by the time they got to me, so I felt comfortable letting them continue with their chosen means and methods. So, I guess, if ya know your gun and how it performs and you can read targets well (sporting clays and FITASC) you should be good to go.

Now, for my own shooting I have several different loads that I use but that is because different guns like different loads. In my modern guns I like a 1oz. load of 8's for most everything until ya get that long squirrely target and then I go to 7.5's. These are loads traveling about 1250-1300 fps. but I do shoot a lot of "bunker loads" 7/8's oz. of 7.5's traveling from 1350-1360. For my old guns I like to stay at 1oz. @ 1180-1200 on a clays course or trap field. I am going to experiment with 7/8's oz. loads for the older guns as reload components become available in both 2 3/4's and 2.5 inch ammo.

I really feel that this is a case of the indian and not the arrow nor the bow string for that matter. If a shooters perception of target and mental understanding of what the target is doing (sporting clays) and is shooting from the subconscious once the "plan" is made then he/she will likely break the target. Shoot from the conscious mind and you are going to have problems....

JMHO
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Hering For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #22
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,929 Times in 1,731 Posts

Shoot a 8ga and and ya never worry about pellet count.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 09:24 PM   #23
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,195 Times in 1,189 Posts

If money was on the line my $$$ would be on the 1 oz. load of 8s ..............everytime. Whether someone else was doing the shooting, or me. There are just too many holes in a pattern of 3/4 oz. 7 1/2s at distance. An edgy target can get through. Another thing ......... I've picked up too many targets on the course that had two and even three holes in them but didn't have a "visible" chip off of them. Multiple pellet strikes is imperative and more pellets is better here, IMO.

Neither guy was using my favorite sporting load ............... 1 1/8 oz. hard 8s (or 7 1/2s on long rabbits) at 1150 fps. I don't like chips, they build no confidence. I like smoke balls.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 11:14 PM   #24
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,505 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Once again the old axiom of; It ain't the arrow it's the Indian holds true here.
Most shooters out there would be much better off if they focused more on trying to be the Indian and less on the composition of the arrow. Spreader loads are not the answer. Go shoot some clays.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 06:37 AM   #25
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,921 Times in 1,317 Posts

As they say, I shoot 1 1/8 oz. because they won't let me shoot 1 1/4. And I shoot 8 shot in 16 yrd singles and first bird of doubles, 7 1/2 shot in handicap and second bird of doubles. I do all of this because the small muscle between my ears tells me so. Doesn't matter what the science is. If you believe it, it works.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #26
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,195 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis
I do all of this because the small muscle between my ears tells me so. Doesn't matter what the science is. If you believe it, it works.
There is no replacement for confidence in your load and equipment ........... none.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #27
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post
Most shooters out there would be much better off if they focused more on trying to be the Indian and less on the composition of the arrow. Spreader loads are not the answer. Go shoot some clays.

-Victor
When I started some 10 years ago one of the gentlemen I shot with gave me some great advice. He said "I watch you when we start on the course. You get in the box, call for the bird and shoot the bird. As we get half way through I se you thinking more. Don't think just call for the bird and shoot the bird. The less you think the better you shoot."
As mentioned before in this thread, try to be a better indian.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #28
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think in most cases the better pattern density of the 8s would allow the option of a more open choke and a larger effective pattern giving an advantage to Harry. On the other hand far more shooters are affected by recoil of a heavier load that would admit to it or even realize it. A slight hesitation in the swing or follow through, a bit of a tug on the trigger, a blink or even tiny tightening of the muscles can cause misses that get blamed on holes in patterns. Probably not a big issue for a 96 or a 91 average shooter, but no one is immune.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote