Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #21
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,134 Times in 3,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Like both Craig and Mike have said, it’s a matter of personal preference. Some like them and some don’t. Some might pay a premium while others wouldn’t even buy such a gun.

I own only one Parker with a single trigger but would be just as happy if it had double triggers because I have no problem shooting a double trigger gun. Some people have trouble with double triggers.

My single trigger is a little VHE 20 with open chokes . The rest of my SxS’s are all double trigger . In the past I could go shoot dove sporting or whatever carry a SxS with double triggers and a Superposed with a single trigger and never miss a beat switching back and forth . Since getting the little VHE single trigger I find myself sometimes trying to get my finger behind the trigger looking for a nonexistent second trigger . Now with all that being said I’m kinda in the market for a factory original VHE , GHE or DHE 12 with 32” barrels choked tight , vent rib and wide forend . But I’d be just as happy if I got the same basic configuration but with double triggers .
Unread 05-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #22
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,345 Times in 4,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Yes. The order book info was vague but I did get info from G&H records. The gun was ordered by a lawyer from NJ.

I was not aware of that gun having documentation of the trigger being factory installed. It is a miller. And it is the cleanest miller trigger install internally that I had ever seen. Which meant it was not done by the miller brothers. I always figured it may have been by Lefever.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 05-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #23
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,636 Times in 2,890 Posts

Brian, Dan looked at that Trojan too and said it looked like a Miller. The VHE also was single trigger in the order book. I find both triggers very interesting.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 05-09-2021, 09:00 PM   #24
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,113 Times in 2,431 Posts

Those are new ones on me. All the MILLER single selective triggers I know look like this. Early style with the safety as the selector --

Early-style Miller on DHE 12-gauge 01.jpg

Early-Style Miller on DHE 12-gauge 02.jpg

and the later style with the rocker switch --

Late-style Miller on CHE 12-gauge.jpg
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2021, 09:57 PM   #25
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

I really don't understand the supposed issue with a Parker single trigger. Many of the trap Parkers have a single trigger {I do not know if the SBT and a SxS are the same} and trap shotguns are going to be shot multiples of times more than hunting models. So why would the Parker Brothers put out an inferior trigger in a gun that was meant for more shooting in a season than most guns in a hunting situation be shot in their owner's lifetime?
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #26
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,345 Times in 4,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Scott Hanes View Post
I really don't understand the supposed issue with a Parker single trigger. Many of the trap Parkers have a single trigger {I do not know if the SBT and a SxS are the same} and trap shotguns are going to be shot multiples of times more than hunting models. So why would the Parker Brothers put out an inferior trigger in a gun that was meant for more shooting in a season than most guns in a hunting situation be shot in their owner's lifetime?
The trigger in an SBT is as simple of a deal as you can get. It is one half of the Double trigger setup.

The First Generation parker trigger for double guns was one that was invented by someone else and used under license by parker. It must have proven to be somewhat problematic over a short enough time because eventually James Hayes developed and implemented the Second generation design, which was of his own design. Some of the mechanics involving the selector are very similar to the first type. The inertia block is completely different.

The second generation trigger was very reliable overall as it was never changed. And it is the same design that was used in the Parker Reproductions. It is in no way a simple mechanism. But, really not many of them are. The Miller is about a simple as it gets, which is why they have kind of gotten the reputation of being the most reliable or "best" SST out there (that was used on vintage guns). But, after nearly 100 years anything can become problematic and unreliable.

I personally feel like a single trigger on a double gun is the absolutely dumbest thing going. They can be very complex mechanisms that are very problematic to repair and can be finicky at times to work correctly. Different loads or even different shooters can effect the performance of the trigger.
Most barrel selectors are simply unsafe, and except for use on targets, they likely are never actually used much. There is no better or quicker barrel selector than just moving your finger from one trigger to the other. period.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 05-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #27
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,636 Times in 2,890 Posts

Brian, I agree 100% with your comment. I would never order a SST for a SxS. I’m a fan of double triggers. It is a fix for a non-existent problem. Only reason I have these two is because they work, the guns really fit well and I can shoot them well too.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 05-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #28
Foster Myers III
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks to all who took the time to share their knowledge. Shipped out today from California. Delivery is on Monday (my father holds an FFL) I'll have my hands on it next weekend.
Foster Myers III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #29
Mark Britton
PGCA Member

Member Info

IMO Two barrels Two triggers ! Not that I am against a single trigger ( I have both types of guns ) I like what works !
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote