Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

I provided a new home for a BHE 410 that belonged to Ottis. The gun resides in the hands of a fine gentleman from Pa. and a frequent provider to the Bod. He has posted pics of the gun here before but probably would not have a problem refreshing the view. Here is a gun that also belonged to Ottis. This gun , A dhe 28ga according to the letter was a gift for winning the Western Amateur Golf Tournament and immediately traded to Parker for a 28ga A1 special affectionately referred to as the "little persuader" . The letter for the A1 and the dhe 28ga both speak of the trade. The Dhe was then repurchased from parker by the gift owner and remained practically new and covered in a dried grease when I purchased it.The A1 28ga was also,I believe, owned by Ottis. It has changed hands a few times but has been displayed for sale by a Michigan dealer and has been fitted with a set of titanic steel 410 barrels. Bill and Kevin are both very knowledgeable on Ottis's life and his story would make a great Parker Pages article.Here is the Dhe 28ga with very nice relief dhe engraving.The gun, when I photographed it, was still covered in the grease. The gun had all of its original case color and was on a 00 frame.Sorry for the lousy photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parkerdhe28 008.JPG (184.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg parkerdhe28 003.JPG (176.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg parkerdhe28 006.JPG (192.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg parkerdhe28 013.JPG (136.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg parkerdhe28 014.JPG (152.5 KB, 11 views)
chuck brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chuck brunner For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,265 Posts

Gable 1934 with M11

With John Barrymore (?M21) skeet shooting in the Hollywood Hills

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,567 Posts

Bill Jaqua bought the "Little Persuader" maybe 20 (?) years ago, for something approaching $100K The transaction was written up in the center column of the Wall Street Journal, and helped legitimize high quality guns as an investment alternative. The gun was sold quickly for what I understand was a handsome profit for Bill
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill Jaqua was another gentleman that has had some tremendous guns thru his store. A gun that recently sold was the "Roosevelt Fox". Lore has it Bill Jaqua sold the gun and financed it so that the owner could fill an already outstanding collection. Mr Jaqua was also a mentor to Jack Puglisi who also provided some of the rarest Parkers to ever come to market. I remember reading a paper ad in a gun magazine where jack had 3 A1 specials in 12, 20 and 28ga. All gorgeous guns in fantastic condition. These early collectors have seen the best of the best and its neat to sit and talk with these guys about the days when these guns were discovered.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chuck brunner For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #25
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

A lot of the Hollywood Parkers were sold through the gunshop of Alex Kerr. I just visited with a close friend of his a few nights ago actually.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry -- you are right -- Rich's hollywood gun is a gun that was thru Alex's shop.He would order some really nice guns for his customers. Frank Pachmayer was another California dealer/smith that had more than a few good guns thru his shop
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #27
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
Not wanting to throw cold water on a great story, but one who likes to get facts straight, the movie Gone with the Wind premiered in New York City on 19 December 1939. It premiered in Atlanta, Georgia, four days earlier.
As Dave stated above GWTW premiered December 15th. 1939 (I was 6 months old at the time & couldn't go) at Lowe's Grand Theater on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia. A relative of mine attended & I have his programme from that night.

Besat Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
Tommy Neely
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I was fortunate to know both Ottis Odom and his wife, Ruby and would stop by their home frequently to admire his Parker Collection. During a visit in the 1980"s, I asked Ottis what was the highest price he had paid for a Parker. His response was that a man had called him wanting to buy a Parker collection consisting of every gauge (12 ga, - 410) and in every grade available. I'm sure with the exception on the Invincible. Ottis explained he had every gun the man wanted with the exception of an A1 Special 28 ga. but new where he could buy this gun. Ottis gave the man a price and the man agreed. Ottis explained he paid $125,000.00 for the A-1 Special and the deal was done. I could not stand it and asked Ottis who the man was. His reply was that he could not remember the man's name but that he sold Lady's Underware. Guess Ottis was not impressed enough to remember, I'll leave the rest to you.
Tommy Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Clark Gable A1 Parker
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
Richard Bozzano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Clark Gable A1 Parker

Thanks for te info....Any whereabouts of the Joan Bennett DHE 20?
Richard Bozzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,959 Times in 4,798 Posts

The Joan Bennett gun is in the hands of a PGCA member. I first saw Joan's gun in the fifties at an NRA show on Herb Glass's tables. By the way the person Ottis was referring to, if I am correct about his identity, DID own an Invincible at the time. This was well back in the days when the Invincibles were still "lost". The first Invincible was only "lost" to those who did not own it. That story may be told one day, but not today.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote