Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Gun Dogs
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #21
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Gun Dogs

Dean, the Nova Scotia Toller or Little River Duck Dog (of Yarmouth County) as they were known when I made a little film on them 58 years ago is companionable, used in tamer waters but not in the hard stuff of the ledges and off-shore islands. They are often hard-headed and I wouldn't recommend one. Having said that, last week I saw a really good Toller not a kilometre from my home, a dandy spirited little fellow who loved his job. So I'm generalizing more from how I feel than experience. I know Tollers are used in tough stuff on our South Shore but not as many now as years ago.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Agree with all that has been said. I'm a Lab/Springer guy (just lucky, I guess), but I would add that you should ensure that any new pup come from a hunting/field trial line. As an example, most show-bred Springers, Labs and Goldens will be less than stellar in the field.
Words not to take lightly. The last class I took with Hickox in Idaho, a student brought his house pet Springer. That dog could care less about a bird. It wouldn't even walk over to it when tossed on the ground. I've seen the same thing in two labs around the neighborhood. I had a live pigeon in my birdbag at a local city park, waiting for dark to run a drill with my lab. Two neighborhood ladies had their labs there watching us. I teased them (the ladies' dogs, not the ladies) with the live bird. Neither dog (nor lady) was interested.

Predatory drive is bred, not trained. Training hunting dogs is just about harnessing that predatory drive.

Last edited by Chuck Heald; 12-23-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

This is me and Radar my Chesador. He is half Labrador which gives him a lovable personality. He is also half Chesapeake which makes him stubborn as heck! Being half Chessie also makes him have “grit”, that is strong character and perseverance! Radar is a special dog to me. He is my Ol’Yeller or Lassie-dog. Radar is my companion as well as hunting partner.

Radar is a great waterfowler and fine upland dog. He hunts close and I like that. I love to see him get “birdie”. We do as Chuck pointed out; cover a lot of ground together. That’s fine for he is 11 and me almost 5 times that. We tire together.

Being 11 years old I know that I have but a few more years with Radar. I love him so that his passing will hurt me more than I can imagine. That makes me think about what dog will be next? For me, who wants a companion and gun dog, I think it will be a Pointing Lab or Standard Poodle.

Good luck in your analysis and decision. Dogs bring joy to our lives. Also, we can learn a lot from our dogs if we take the time to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pheasants&Parkers_24DEC11_46.JPG (199.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0816.jpg (85.2 KB, 184 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mark, that is a neat dog. I've never heard of that breed and please tell me it combines the best of the two. Great pics. Could you tell us what the two guns are and a bit about them? Thanks, Brian
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #25
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,803 Times in 2,608 Posts

Mark;
Great picture. Maybe it's the lighting but you look much older than Radar. Enjoy your buddy while you can. God gives them to us for a very short time so the love and affection they give us is concentrated. You never hunt alone when you hunt with your dog. Give him a treat for me on Christmas morning.
Daryl Corona is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

that is one fine pal you have there...most of the times man will out live his dog and we have great love for them..but sometimes the dog outlives us..i have seen a dog grieve his self to death over the passing of thedogs owner...such great love... i dont think i could match this love...all that i can do is love my pal whish is a little jack russel shes 3 shes making a fine squirl dog shes a fine companion will even help you finish your ice cream cone once in a while...what would we do with out our partners of the field and home... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good advice from John and Chuck. I've been lucky with Labs in the sense that I never got a palooka (although we all know that generally the owner makes the dog). With my current Jake I knew that he would be my last dog because of my age. I scouted for field experience and fortunately there's a kennel fairly close to home owned by a duck and geese hunter, former Ducks Unlimited worker, and dog trainer. I'm living out my years with a champ, bird dog through and through. Choosing a dog is serious business!
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to King Brown For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Hi Brian,

That photo was the subject of a recent Parker Pages article which I wrote from a revised version of the first thread listed below. In this thread I list the guns and qualities of my Chesador. I invite you to join the Parker Gun Collectors Association (PGCA). It will be the best $40 you ever spent! The Parker Pages alone are worth that and more!

A good dog, pheasants, and Parkers:
http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/sho...ighlight=Radar

Back to the Chesador. These are an old cross bread often from accidental litters between owner's Labs and Chessies. Radar had the strongest personality of his litter and although several experiance dog owner/trainers had him as their first pick they said no way and chose one of his siblings. I had last pick and according to the breaders, got the best of the litter. I would not argue with that!

The following threads have photos of me and Radar which shows how big a part of my life he is.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, I want to go where they go!”

http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/sho...ighlight=Radar*

http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/sho...ighlight=Radar*

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post: