Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
ken larson
PGCA Member

Member Info

ANYONE TRIED CLENZOIL???
ken larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Setter Man
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I have used Clenzoil and in fact I forgot that I have a bottle. Clenzoil is a very good product that can be used on every part, inside and out. It's a relatively lightweight oil, similar to Hoppe's. My canister of Balistol is no-aresol and it's much heavier than Clenzoil and Hoppe's.

As for Hoppe's, I know of no one who does not appreciate the versatility and smell of Hoppe's. I'll probably go out and pick up a can of that next week.

The point is to do something, almost religiously, as part of the care for our firearms.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,018 Times in 1,431 Posts

In the past I've used Rem Oil or similar gun oil to wipe the metal. It really doesn't matter as long as you apply any quality oil after shooting. I'm intrigued by the guys that feel they have to turn their muzzles down when storing the gun for fear of getting oil into the head of the stock. If they get oil seeping into the stock head, they are using way too much oil on the receiver.

I recently bought a can of Balistol, not the spray. I shoot a Beretta 391 in the winter and those semi-auto's sure do build up the carbon. I applied the Balistol fairly thickly on the dirty parts, waited about 1/2 hr and started cleaning. I was amazed at how Balistol just turned that carbon to sludge. Made cleaning the 391 easy!
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
Setter Man
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I'm not a chemist but is it good to use an oil as a protectant that can de-sludge a gun or is that just the nature of oils?
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #25
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,795 Times in 653 Posts

I have used clenzoil for years. I like the fact that it doesn't hurt the wood.
Gary,
I know others that love Preserve oil. Most are on their last bottles and can't find any more.
Jeff Kuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #26
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

I put 3'n1 in the gun case bottle for the BHE 'cause Parker recommended it. Otherwise it's Rem Oil, Hoppes #9, or, as Big D mentioned, RIG for the exterior on a peice of paper towel, or, if a little "oxydation", on a piece of 0000 steel wool.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #27
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,105 Posts

I sent a gun up to Miller Trigger " Daniel May " to have a repair done a while back ,and the oil he wiped the gun down with when he sent it home took me right back to being 12 years old again ,if Dan is reading this post ,maybe he will chime in on what it is they use ! I would buy a Five Gallon Jug !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #28
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,657 Times in 997 Posts

I had been using Rem Oil for many years, but about 3 years ago I began hearing about the qualities if Eezox. So I did some research and am now convinced there is not a better product on the market for gun care than Eezox and have been using it exclusively ever since. Eezox cleans, lubricates and prevents rust. When applied properly it is dry in seconds so you don't have to be concerned about the laws of gravity and soaking into the head of the stock if you store your guns upright. It doesn't harm wood or finishes and you don't leave finger prints when touching the metal.

Take a look at these test results, as it's a real eye opener:
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

The question to ask yourself is, "How long is my gun going to be stored in this condition?" If your answer is anything other than, "I have no clue" then you are living in denial. Any of us are liable to leave this earth later on this afternoon. I try to store my guns so that the next owner will still be able to enjoy them if for some reason the guns sit in my safe for years untouched. No matter how little oil you put on your barrels, some of it is going to be affected by gravity. I'm worried about more than the oil from the last time I cleaned my guns. Years and years of accumulation is the reason people store their gun with the barrels down. It might be just a tiny smidge of oil from each cleaning that took 3 months to make its way down the barrel, but over how many cleanings or even decades of use are you concerned about the longevity of your firearm?. Stocks become oil soaked at a slower rate than wrinkles form on your face. I am also of the believe that you can't soak your bores with too much oil, which will also drain down inside the receiver to the stock. Barrels down for me.
will evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,657 Times in 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by will evans View Post
The question to ask yourself is, "How long is my gun going to be stored in this condition?" If your answer is anything other than, "I have no clue" then you are living in denial. Any of us are liable to leave this earth later on this afternoon. I try to store my guns so that the next owner will still be able to enjoy them if for some reason the guns sit in my safe for years untouched. No matter how little oil you put on your barrels, some of it is going to be affected by gravity. I'm worried about more than the oil from the last time I cleaned my guns. Years and years of accumulation is the reason people store their gun with the barrels down. It might be just a tiny smidge of oil from each cleaning that took 3 months to make its way down the barrel, but over how many cleanings or even decades of use are you concerned about the longevity of your firearm?. Stocks become oil soaked at a slower rate than wrinkles form on your face. I am also of the believe that you can't soak your bores with too much oil, which will also drain down inside the receiver to the stock. Barrels down for me.
If you're not using Eezox you should be storing your guns with the muzzles down.