Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #21
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,371 Times in 857 Posts

I am fortunate in that I get to see lots and lots of collections in my work. The very best collections I see are a culmination of years of selling off a lesser gun to acquire a better example. The very best collections I see are usually less than 100 guns but the owner may have owned hundreds and hundreds during his collecting years.
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh Loewensteiner For Your Post:
Unread 07-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #22
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,932 Times in 1,926 Posts

I get that Josh and I have done that numerous times but I think you will agree there is a big difference between upgrading to a better example and buying an "it" gun. Normally in an upgrade there is a minimal amount of cash loss, on the other hand the proverbial "it" gun sucks the life out of the gun fund. It does mine anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Loewensteiner View Post
I am fortunate in that I get to see lots and lots of collections in my work. The very best collections I see are a culmination of years of selling off a lesser gun to acquire a better example. The very best collections I see are usually less than 100 guns but the owner may have owned hundreds and hundreds during his collecting years.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 07-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #23
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,378 Times in 4,730 Posts

I am always surprised at the amount of people that sell guns so quickly after acquiring them. Or how quickly after getting a good amount of work done to them and waiting a while for that work to be done.
For many the thrill is in the chase or in the chase for the next one and the best way to do that is to buy each one right and make a little on it to use it as a stepping stone to the next.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #24
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,177 Times in 4,897 Posts

Great post, Dudley. In my collection, a gun has to have quite a problem for me to sell it quickly after acquiring it. How badly do we really need the money from a good gun to go out and buy another? I bought my first Parker in 1960 and haven't missed a paycheck since. I would just wait for Friday, deposit my paycheck, go home and send away for another Parker.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #25
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

in my neck of the woods collecting parkers would have been a bust i never even seen a parker till in the 80 s....a few lc smiths and stevens were about it....the internet opened up the world of parkers and other good doubles for me....back in 1960 i made 3 dollars a day chopping cotton and hoeing grass out of cotton....i guess thats why no parkers were around my house....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Trading up
Unread 07-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
Tom Hawkins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Trading up

I traded remington and browning semi automatics for doubles in the seventies and eighties as everyone wanted the firepower of more shells. Doubles were cheap and damascus was feared and cheaper. I would buy guns at garage sales, small shows, and wherever I could find them and trade up at big shows like Tulsa. Broken guns were bought that were attained cheap and repaired then traded. Friends knew that I was looking for doubles and would call me when they knew of one. Brian is right about the chase of a gun and then wanting something else better. If the gun fits and is a really good shooter it stays. I turn down guns now that I would have jumped on years ago. Charlie's statement about the internet hits home. I found parts that I had been looking for for years. Before the Parker information became public you would have to go on what you knew as far as condition and rarity, It has been a neat endeavor that has helped meet many fine people. The "IT" gun is always on the horizon, and probably always will be.
Unread 07-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #27
Donald McQuade
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was fortunate enough to come across and acquire my "IT" gun several years ago. I got the bug for hunting grouse and woodcock by reading the likes of Burton Spiller and thus, in my feeble mind, the ideal upland gun was a side by side, preferably in 16 ga. Well, I was able to add a DH 16ga to my gun case. It has Damascus barrels, 26 inches long, choked cyc and lt. mod with double triggers. To me the perfect combination for grouse and woodcock in the thick Minn woods. It is a 1903 vintage gun, un-molested with perfect screws and wood to metal fit. She is not the prettiest gun in my safe, nor the most expensive, but she is my "IT" gun. To top it off it fits me fairly well and I don't embarrass myself when hunting with it. I did need to sell a couple of little used guns to get it, but it was well worth it.
Donald McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donald McQuade For Your Post:
Unread 07-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #28
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,674 Times in 2,904 Posts

Excellent thread!! Some good replies and well thought out to boot. First and foremost I am a shooter. Second, hunter. I have a nice bunch of Parkers and Lefevers now for shooting clays. A few Fox guns for upland birds. I had quite a few London guns, LCS, Ithaca, etc. Even a nice early Winchester M21 that I moved to upgrade my Parkers and Lefevers. If I don't score well with a gun it goes. Won't even bat an eye. Thank you Mr. Gun, have a nice day. That all comes down to fit and feel. Just personal preferences, nothing against the gun or maker. Heck, I have hardware store sub-gauge hammer guns that I can shoot lights out with!! I suppose sometimes it's a combination of the arrow and the Indian?? Nothing wrong with sexy high grade guns, but I'll take a shooter any day. That said, if anyone wants to donate a C, B or A grade, I'm more than happy to accept that rather charitable gift.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!