Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Peter Johnson's Book
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Peter Johnson's Book

Peter Johnson obtained most of his information from mail interviews with former Parker employees. Time may have faded some memories, but the information is first hand, and no longer recoverable. Johnson also researched some unusual sources, including customs records in the Library of Congess.

Johnson's phrase " rough tubes of minimum duty" and his story of metal shards in the bunker where Parker Bros pre proofed barrels probably provide more information on the reason Parker barrels differed in bore and shape from other manufacturers than any other source.

While later works provide some very solid information, Johnson's book provided the insight to looking for that information. You will gain more facts reading more recent publications; but Johnson will provide the background essential to interpreting those facts.

We were very fortunate to have been able to talk to Peter, and to have reviewed his book prior to his death.

Best, Austin

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Austin W Hogan For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Lowe View Post
I've sent in my membership dues and am looking forward to the Parker Pages....and the for sale section.

Is there a sequence that makes any sense to start with? Are there any to pass on altogether, and which are the "can't do withouts"? Any better places to find them than Amazon, etc?
Fred,
As a new member of the PGCA, welcome. One benefit to you as a PGCA member is that The Double Gun Journal is offering slightly blemished two volume sets of TPS for $100.00 off the regular price. I have all the books and TPS in my opinion has the most usable information but the book I look at the most would be the Parker Gun Identification and Serialization book by Blue Book Publications.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

Thank you Austin, well said! Peter's book is fun to re-read, even if we know more about the topic today and can find a few occasional flaws in his book. It remains the foundation for the our research even today.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

That's very true, and Johnson is important in an historical context. Also interesting to read the Baer books and to understand his lavish praise of certain Parkers and Hollywood guns he had a hand in re-selling. Its also interesting to read of his praise of "upgrades" from certain shops he was friendly with and admonitions against guns from other gunsmiths. Whenever I re-read the Muderlak go to where the guns are discussions of his visits with Herschel Chaddick, I can't help but remember Hershel's amusing first person accounts of those conversations, as told to me in several visits to Terrell, Texas. I would have liked to have been a mouse in the corner.....at least for a few minutes.

These and many more, the undisclosed upgrades, all the Parker never dids we always heard about, all the strange turns of some of the collector guns, all that and more has made the collecting of desireable Parkers so much more than just guns and as juicy as any soap opera or dime detective novel. The Parker Serialization and Identification Book and The Parker Story have, in my opinion, been the most instrumental in focusing the light of truth in Parkers.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,729 Posts

Fred, I have the second and third printings of Johnson's books for sale here on the site.
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have been interested in Parkers ever since you could have bought an "A1 for 1500 to 3500 and D's were bringing 175 and up.I talked to Chadick when her first started running ads to buy guns and I also had a long phone conversation with the guy down south who had all the "original" high grade guns ,including an A1 .410.I He assured me the gun was all original.All this talk with these experts left me wondering "what the ----! as noone told the same story. We are lucky that some researchers without an axe to grind searched for the truth and collaborated with other honest and forthcoming with their hard earned knowledge.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Some of those guys were making original guns on a daily basis. You are just way too picky with the meaning of original.

Some of those fellows used to publicly state that the rise of the PGCA and the infernal Serialization Book and nit picky TPS ruined the business of Parker sales for them. I should have collected all the outrageous statements I have heard about Parkers through the years. Would have been a fun top ten list.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Never thought of it that way.I was friends with Jim Austin in the 70's and he had some great stories about Parkers and Parker dealers too.I suppose the chance to make some serious money will always bring out the worst in some people.Lots of good guns turned into not so good guns back in those days. Like to think that is not the case so much today.
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,959 Times in 4,798 Posts

I still have the gun list from the "Georgia Investment Company" that Robert Delk alludes to. Oddly, it includes serial numbers for all the guns they offered, including the A1 Special .410. They had no idea that by 1997, the records would be opened. Bruce is very generous in his praise, but strangely leaves out the PGCA and the 1997 and 1998 PGCA Research Project. Robert, Jim Austin had a story a minute. Sharing a goose pit with him for entire days still didn't dry him out. He is an entertaining person, a lot of fun to be with.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #20
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

In 1977 Jim came to Iowa with a car full of fine guns,including one I still dream about:CHE 28 guage with 24" barrels and original A&F case. Bill Sisney ended up with it at the Rochester,Minnesota gun show.We owe the early collectors and dealers a great deal even though they may have erred and/or slipped a bit ethically. I had no money but I was fortunate enough to have an inquiring mind and no fear when it came to calling up someone on the phone when I wanted to clarify something.The CHE trap gun in Baer's book is one of Jim's guns and I took the picture not knowing it would end up published. Gun had quite a story behind it too.