Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,917 Times in 2,384 Posts

My Father and Uncles all believed the Damascus barrel warnings which they first began seeing on shotgun shell boxes in the early 1930s was a desperate attempt by the manufacturers to sell new guns during the Great Depression. They didn't buy it and my Grandfather's 1890 PH-Grade 12-gauge remained in use until my Uncle Howard quit hunting. My Father shot Damascus barrel Remington AE-Grades until he quit hunting at age 80 after the 1987-8 season. I still have the 1895 vintage 12-gauge but the 16-gauge, serial number P136036, was stolen out of his home and I'm still looking for it.

"Cactus" Jack and his 26-inch barrel Model 21s is a big cause of the whacked American doubles we see way too often.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,020 Times in 1,432 Posts

Fred, why don't you PM your S/N and if I have a record on it, I'll let you know the barrel steel. It could have been either depending when made.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Saw a gun today on Gunbroker that had a letter that indicated it was Titanic steel gun and barrels were labeled that way, but in actuality it was a Damascus Gun. Factory mistake.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #14
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
My Father and Uncles all believed the Damascus barrel warnings which they first began seeing on shotgun shell boxes in the early 1930s was a desperate attempt by the manufacturers to sell new guns during the Great Depression. They didn't buy it and my Grandfather's 1890 PH-Grade 12-gauge remained in use until my Uncle Howard quit hunting. My Father shot Damascus barrel Remington AE-Grades until he quit hunting at age 80 after the 1987-8 season. I still have the 1895 vintage 12-gauge but the 16-gauge, serial number P136036, was stolen out of his home and I'm still looking for it.

"Cactus" Jack and his 26-inch barrel Model 21s is a big cause of the whacked American doubles we see way too often.
Which particular cactus jack are we referring to? There are many that come to mind.
Unread 08-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,147 Posts

No one wants to be the one that gives the "go-ahead, it's safe" answer to whether or not to shoot any antique rifle or shotgun. My 2 cents: I trust good quality Damascus over ANY fluid steel of the same era. That said, any man made mechanical contraption can fail. You have to use common sense. If you're shooting a turn of the last century gun. Do a little homework, and find out what minimum barrel wall thicknesses are. Have your gun looked at, measure the bbl walls, make sure lock-up is good.
Then find a source for quality low pressure loads, or roll your own.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,565 Times in 12,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
Saw a gun today on Gunbroker that had a letter that indicated it was Titanic steel gun and barrels were labeled that way, but in actuality it was a Damascus Gun. Factory mistake.

I have a 28 gauge DHE where in the order book the barrels are 28" Titanic Steel and in the stock book the barrels are 24" Damascus.

The research letter confirms the 24” Damascus barrels.

The gun came to me with the documented twenty-eight gauge 24" Damascus Steel barrels.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #17
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know mistakes are made in the books but how prevalent are mislabeling barrels. One out of a hundred or a thousand or something more or less either way.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781432647
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

It no longer surprises me to see these conflicts in recorded data.

Unread 08-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,630 Times in 2,670 Posts

During the Damascus barrel era Ithaca had been marketing their guns as guaranteed against bursting , but Ithaca had been losing market share. A new president came in and promptly changed marketing to tout the new improved fluid steel barrels and that only fluid steel would not burst with so called modern shells. He authored the well known dangerous Damascus letter and appeared at gun events talking about dangerous Damascus and urging that owners buy new Ithaca guns.
The Ithaca president was personable and well liked and other makers followed his lead.
The change in marketing from Damascus was guaranteed against bursting to dangerous to use occurred within months.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

And in doing so did an unfathomable disservice to all owners and manufacturers of guns with “twist or Damascus” barrels.