Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 08-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The bird popluation is down from ma nature 100% in my neck of the woods. Farming hasen't changed in the last few years. We went from the most birds to no birds in 1 year. Now i'm quout "a hick dumb farmer from the fly over state" so hey, what do I know. I spary wheat stubble when doves have egge and month latter when they have babys learing to fly the stuff we use is pretty safe at the rate we put on. 7 oz on a acre is not much.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

World demand for food, high grain prices have brought more chemical use like roundup that has eliminated grass and weeds in our crop fields. That was considered habitat a few years ago. It has forced our remaining population of birds into smaller areas which can be easily hunted by us and other prey. High land prices have now created bulldozer mania. Our little farm steads have all but disappeared. I did see good numbers of doves today. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

In southeastern Michigan we had lots of pheasants until they took the bounty off foxes in, I think, 1963. Now it's coyotes, foxes, racoons, possums, and even turkeys that insure no pheasants in Michigan as far as I can tell. There are predators everywhere. The habitat is as good or better than when they were plentiful - still lots of grain and corn fields bordered by impenetrable brushy swamps and overgrown fence rows. It should be phez heaven, but they are extremely rare to the point of almost being non existent these days.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote