Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #11
Harry Reed
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just a reminder to check those barrels each time out. Had a similar issue at our property in south FL. We had a 410 stored in the garage for use on snakes and such. Needed it in a hurry for a large cottonmouth (I hate snakes). Split the barrel when it was fired. Seems a dirt dobber bee had started a nest in the barrel. We now store the garage shotgun with a cork in the end of the barrel. My first question would be, did it occur on the first shot? If so, something in the barrel.
Harryreed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harryreed For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,239 Times in 1,197 Posts

This was a problem with the early steel shot shells actually, they put something on the shot now to keep it from happening. I've also seen several guns bulged behind the choke from steel, always older guns with tight chokes. That's the main reason not to use it in older shotguns, particularly larger shot and guns with tighter chokes. But of course, I don't know anything, we have an expert here on the forum who will tell you it's perfectly safe.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,447 Times in 4,457 Posts

I prefer to pay extra and get Nice Shot or Kent Tungsten. More expensive, but just pick your shots better. If it was not an obstruction, I bet the gun in question here would still be fine
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,239 Times in 1,197 Posts

Modern steel kills just fine, the reputation for wounding was created in the early days before the ammo companies figured out how to load it. When it comes to steel, speed kills, and it's all plenty fast now. I've seen some tremendous long range shooting done with large shot in steel loads by a friend of mine. If it will kill at long range it will certainly kill at 25 yards.

That being said, I stick with the Kent TM and old Federal TP for the most part. I'd never shoot steel in a vintage gun, unless it was some beater I didn't care about.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,447 Times in 4,457 Posts

Interesting. I have not used steel since Bismuth came out
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Casey
Forum Associate

Member Info

The owner of the barrel in question is out of town so i haven't found out what choke he has.
This I do know:
It was the third shot of the morning;
#4 winchester steel shot;
3" gun;
The shells had been wet before.
Casey O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

It would be interesting to get a few of the remaining cartridges that got "wet" ...if any remain. Then cut a few open to see if the steel shot had oxidized and possibly fused together inside. Normally these factory loads are fairly waterproof. If they went "bang" then they couldn't have gotten too wet for very long...

Still, I'd suspect a barrel obstruction of some sort. What happened with the barrel between the second and third shot?
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #18
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,343 Times in 3,302 Posts

just wondering - maybe a wad stuck at the end? if the wet shell lost some velocity due to damp powder and the load did not completely clear the muzzle

fact is - we would likely never know for a fact
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

I have seen several choke tubes blow out and take with them a fractured portion of the barrel end. There was no obstruction, type or size of shot was not a factor , and in one instance, the owner of the 870 stated that before shooting he had checked the choke tube for tightness.

We checked the sporting clays range for the tube , found it and determined that the shot had pushed one lower edge up, causing the tube to rotate and take off about 240 degrees around the muzzle end. Why the choke tube blew out I have no explanation, particularly considering the owners statement that he had just checked it for tightness.

That was the fourth choke tube I had seen blow out, either witnessing the incident directly or seeing it shortly afterward. There were no injuries to the shooter or bystanders in any of the incidents. Three were in Rem 870s and one in a black gun , a Benelli I think, but since Rem 870's are the most popular gun, its not surprising one would see an unrelated occurrence there.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
Casey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
How did he KNOW it w steel stuck together that caused it?
A little difficult of a situation to know what actually happened.
One could only speculate.
Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Unless one had been in the hull at the time of firing, riding the wad and shot column through the barrel, accompanied by a metallurgist with a VERY expensive camera, there's no way one could truly KNOW what happened.
I plead guilty to making an assumption and stating that shot appeared to be the culprit.

Additionally, he cut open some shells and found rust.
I inspected some new winchester shells that I have and (here's that word again) it appears that the melt job on some of the crimps goes clear through the plastic thus providing a path for moisture to reach the shot.

As far as the powder getting wet, the wad can form a fairly good seal. Perhaps it's possible to get the shot wet but not the powder.
Casey O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote