Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 06-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #11
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,272 Posts

I did my best to enhance the faded pattern but believe, mostly based on the size and symmetry of the 'scrolls' that it IS 6 Iron Turkish Parker DD, which would have to have been a special order, or a bad day for the barrel picker

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 06-05-2024, 04:57 PM   #12
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,126 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Gorman View Post
What has happened to the extractor? Looks split. Maybe it’s the photo, but doesn’t look right.
You will need an authentic hammer screw to replace the Home Depot screw and lock washer. I have one.
What is curious to me is that the engraving looks grade 2, but the barrel flats are stamped “DD”, which indicates 6 iron Turkish Crolle, a fine Damascus pattern reserved for grade 4+ guns
You have a nice gun worthy of some attention.
Breck's comments made me go back for a second look. The extractor looks to have been ground in a V for some reason. It look like it may work after a fashion, but it is small and the top is not thick enough. In some of the barrel pictures it is shown extended. It should be a relatively easy part to find.

I went back and looked at the barrel pattern and Drew is right. I shows up better on my screen if I enlarge the outside barrel picture.

I saw the picture of the length of the barrel and it is correct. which answers one of my questions above. The odd length, the damascus pattern and the fact that I can't see a serial number on the barrels due to the angle of the pictures makes me guess that as, Drew mentioned, it has been rebarreled with higher grade damascus. I would also guess that the barrels were shortened when installed, probably from 34". With the high grade barrels it is very possible they had ejectors which were cobbled to make them work.

If we knew if the serial numbers were mismatched we would likely know the entire story. If I missed the barrel numbers, my bad.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 06-05-2024, 05:30 PM   #13
Gray S
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys. I'll definitely start by just gently cleaning what I can with oil and soft brushes and pads. I'll leave anything involving actual tools up to a gunsmith like Mr. Gorman so as to avoid the risk of destroying it with my naivete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Gorman View Post
What has happened to the extractor? Looks split. Maybe it’s the photo, but doesn’t look right.
You will need an authentic hammer screw to replace the Home Depot screw and lock washer. I have one.
What is curious to me is that the engraving looks grade 2, but the barrel flats are stamped “DD”, which indicates 6 iron Turkish Crolle, a fine Damascus pattern reserved for grade 4+ guns
You have a nice gun worthy of some attention.
And I intend to pay it that due attention. As far as I'm aware it hasn't been fired in at least 50 years, and perhaps more than 80. Certainly hasn't had any upkeep or modification performed on it in that time.
Bruce tells me you're booked out pretty far, though frankly the gun ain't going anywhere and I'm more than willing to leave it be until you, or some other such professional is available to service it.
Gray Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2024, 02:14 PM   #14
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,778 Times in 3,162 Posts

There is a view of the muzzle end, showing 119 on the back of the rear lug. It wouldn't be the first time the length was only approximate.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2024, 09:06 AM   #15
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,251 Times in 649 Posts

This is definitely worthy of a some careful attention. I really like this lifter.

I have seen a few handmade shell extractors over the years. This one looks like a selectable extractor? Just slide it over to the left or right? Looks like material was welded to the barrel where the rest extractor should be?

I would start with the barrels, get the extractor situation fixed and have Breck work his magic on the barrels.

Then hit any other smaller details like the hammer screw. Does the gun close up tight? A litter work and she'll look great and be ready for the field...
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2024, 05:30 PM   #16
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,126 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
There is a view of the muzzle end, showing 119 on the back of the rear lug. It wouldn't be the first time the length was only approximate.
You are right, but the picture is of the breech end. I missed the numbers until I blew the picture up a lot.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2024, 05:38 PM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,778 Times in 3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
You are right, but the picture is of the breech end. I missed the numbers until I blew the picture up a lot.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote