Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,492 Times in 12,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Anderson View Post
Dean IF you won it you would just sell it anyway
Ouch!!

Not a 28 ga. my friend - that thing would look like a 90 year old gun in pretty short order. You know how I love to shoot and carry a twenty-eight.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,963 Times in 4,800 Posts

What's this about "finding the perfect 28"? 28s are best when accumulated in quantity. Don't search for perfection, search for just one more. I found my "just one more 28" last weekend.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,105 Posts

Bill ; Tell us about it !!!! Maybe some pics.?
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #14
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,605 Times in 392 Posts

There is one on the Cabelas Gun Room site for around $9900.
Here's a Miller single trigger gun, but it has 30" vent rib barrels.

Sorry I don't know how to post a picture; I've pushed about every button I can think of...
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,567 Posts

LTGG - Try this:

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Russ, my latest 28 is not a Parker. It is a nice little Pedro Arrizabalaga, 50 years old and appears unfired. Not a "Best Gun", as many Arrizabalagas are, but extremely well fitted and stocked, border engraved only, vivid case color, 5 3/4 pounds. Correctly measured bores and chokes are .545, .020 in the right, and .039 in the left. And you thought full choke Repros were heavily constricted! In my experience, full choked Parker Brothers 28s measure .020 of choke. I don't remember what full choked Repro 28s are choked, but they are tighter than original Parkers.
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,105 Posts

Bill ; Sounds like a nice carrying gun ! Congrats. Have you given it a good go yet ?? I love the little 28 Ga. doubles ,not too concerned who the maker is as long as it feels nice in the hands and not too bulky for a small bore gun ,of course ,at least in my mind nothing beats a 28 Ga. Parker ! I have never had much use for Autoloader guns but I picked up a little 1148 in 28 Ga. at a local show and just couldn't pass it up ,one of the nicest carrying guns I have ever owned ! I have to say ,If the 28 Repros are choked tighter than an early 16 Ga.Trojan I once owned ,the shot would have to " Dribble " out of the bores ,those Full Choke Parkers are really TIGHT !
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
Mike Janeczko
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrystauch View Post
There is one on the Cabelas Gun Room site for around $9900.
Here's a Miller single trigger gun, but it has 30" vent rib barrels.

Sorry I don't know how to post a picture; I've pushed about every button I can think of...
Mike Here,
this website thingy is the worst..
it is the most complicated darn thing of all the websites for huntin and fishin that I use...
I don't even know if this is the right way to post an answer...anyway...thanks for the info on the Cabelas website...I checked there and must have missed it..
Mike
Mike Janeczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Barrels "Bored out to 28 gauge"?
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Barrels "Bored out to 28 gauge"?

[quote=Mike Janeczko;35760]Hey thanks guys...
Yep, those 'ol sxs's have all gotten pretty "dear" ..
Sad to fess up, I have pretty much been a model "21" guy..have the 12, 20 and 16's but Olin made the 28 gage with the 20 gage frame and barrel bored out to 28...which means the win "21" 28 gage weighs about a ton...
too much for this 'ol geezer to tote around in heavy brush at least for very far...anyway if anyone has parker 28 for sale I'd sure be interested....haven't found one yet on the usual sites...cabelas, bass pro and other gun libraries...
Mike-- Mike, you have good taste, but may I comment on your 28 on the 20. Winchester made initially two frames for the great but heavy for gauge M21- one for the 12 (including later the Heavy Duck 12 series) and one for the 16 and 20 gauges. Later, when they offered the raised ventilated rib, there were two special frames for that option, due to the taper on notch at the rear breech areas with that rib- They milled out sections of the water table flats to lower the frame weight, but if they bored out 20 gauge barrels to 28 gauge specs- 20 gauge nbd is .6150"", the 28 gauge nbd is .5500"--I have a machine shop background, if you took the 20 gauge barrels and "bored them out" to meet 28 gauge specs., you would have to remove 0.650" per side- impossible--

I will be shooting Tower birds tomorrow at our area club, and I may know of a gentleman with several 28 gauge doubles, maybe not Parkers, and if you want, I'll will be glad to make inquiry on your behest. He also has a VHE 12 with 30" tight choked barrels, ventilated rib and SST I am going to shoot. I am only interested in 12 gauge shotguns, so any small bore I come across, I turn over to the "Brotherhood here"--

If you become a paid up annual member here, you can post "WTB" on our For Sale Forums- I would stay away from Gun brokerage and Double Gun Shoppe websites, too many 'tire kickers and cheap seat critics" IMO-- here, we are all gentleman and treat each other with proper respect.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #20
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Paul Crosnoe has a VH with cracked stock for $7700. 28" cylinder and modified. If the barrels are good, not a bad price. The internet isn't a bad place. An internet Vintager gun friend who knew I was interested in Parkers, referred me to a friend about forty miles from me who had a 28 VH he wanted to have evaluated for sale. It was an OK restock, blued frame, straight grip 26" gun that turned out to be the seventh (as I recall) 28 gauge made by Parker Brothers. It is a William Wagner gun, #97,032, ordered at cylinder and full and still in wonderful condition except for the blue frame. I appraised the gun at around $5000, more with some work. He asked what I would like to pay for the gun. The gentleman sold it to me for $2600 and also offered me a very nice Damascus GH at a very fair price. He was retiring to Myrtle Beach and was looking for a home. I arranged for him to meet Linda's cousin, also 50ish and single like the Parker guy and in search of a buyer for her Myrtle Beach mini mansion. Unfortunately, that is the end of the story.