Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-02-2024, 07:49 AM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,167 Times in 4,894 Posts

The SC listed for sale on this site right now is priced at $2750.00, a price that may be negotiated lower. An SC in the mid threes would probably be very original and fairly high condition.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2024, 10:41 AM   #12
James Gauntt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Chris and Bill — I really don’t know enough to invest in one although they are quite beautiful. Tell me, are there still folks who work on them?
James Gauntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2024, 11:57 AM   #13
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 616 Posts

Many new folks use the term invest. If a return is what you want i suggest an exchange traded fund. Historically a Parker, unless one of a kind, in perfect condition, sells for less now than new taking into account inflation.

Buying is the easy part, for retail, selling for more than wholesale the hard part. Unless you are buying to shoot and enjoy steer your money to the market.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 09-02-2024, 12:04 PM   #14
James Gauntt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Woodcock survey,

I meant invest as in put money into one, not to make money on it — my options for shooting clays are somewhat limited near me so its a thinker as to whether or not to go with a 100 year old gun vs a used Perazzi or something similar. However, having shot the Parker, I can say I like it very much. Thank you very much and I apologize for suggesting invest in the way it came across.
The Following User Says Thank You to James Gauntt For Your Post:
Unread 09-02-2024, 12:10 PM   #15
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gauntt View Post
Thanks Chris and Bill — I really don’t know enough to invest in one although they are quite beautiful. Tell me, are there still folks who work on them?
They are great fun to own and shoot, and of course they don't have to be "original" or "perfect" to shoot and enjoy, but you don't want to overpay, and frankly a SBT will probably only be worth what it's worth today or less; don't look for much if any increase in market value (if that makes sense?). I've never had any major work done on mine but I have had the trigger reworked, so there are gunsmiths out there who can work on them.
Unread 09-02-2024, 12:14 PM   #16
James Gauntt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you, Phil — based on the info an photos of the one I have posted, and based on Bill Dudley’s input would it be safe to say the gun in question is a $2k gun or would it be less? Mechanically it is perfect, but with refinished and embellished metal and an insert on the butt stock, I have no idea what is “fair”
Unread 09-02-2024, 12:45 PM   #17
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,347 Times in 4,722 Posts

I would recommend walking away from this gun if you are wanting to buy one and look for one that is right. Let it be someone else's problem. A bad gun is a bad gun at any price.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-02-2024, 02:59 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yup, I would hold out for one with original finish and unmodified wood, even if I had to pay up for it. They are not hard to find. I have found a baggo them. By the way, it's not a dove, it's a pigeon.
Unread 09-02-2024, 03:35 PM   #19
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,426 Times in 1,131 Posts

There are many here who are much more knowledgeable than I, and certainly more particular ; if I'm buying a gun as a shooter, originality is not as important to me as it is to some, so long as the lack of originality is reflected in the price. One downside of a gun that's not original can be, what else has been done to it, and have things been done that will affect it mechanically? Why did someone choose to blacken the trigger plate or make the pigeon gold; is it paint or some chemical process or...? Does the extra carving on the forend mean a replacement, etc.? Hard to tell from the pic but the receiver looks really shiny; has it been polished or buffed? If you really like the gun and can establish that the issues are largely cosmetic, I think I'd want to pay under $2K for it.

The folks here telling you to walk away told me the same thing when I bought Orphan Annie, my Parker SBT, but for the price I paid she and I have been very happy together .
Unread 09-02-2024, 04:34 PM   #20
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I don't think I would have told you to walk away from Orphan Annie because choke was evident at the 27" level as I recall. Condition wasn't an issue, again, as I recall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: