Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
August Luchow
Forum Associate

Member Info

What happened to the top rib? Is this the best of Dale's work?

August
August Luchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

That's a good question, what did happen to the top rib? It almost looks like someone applied a non reflective coating of some sort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dale%20Edmonds%20damascus%20007.jpg (92.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Larry Frey; 06-23-2009 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Add Photo
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Mr Luchow, we've posted dozens of pictures of Dale's work on this website.

Larry, Dale cards the barrels and goes lightly on the rib so as to not degrade the matting and any inscriptions. I saw this one at the shop and it would not come clean. The only thing to do was to leave as you see it, or card it down so severely that the matting and inscription were ground down. While there is an engraver on call to do touch up work by hand, only limited areas can be done, often to reengrave "damascus" after somebody had tried to grind it out. Maybe there is some kind of coating on this one, but it would not come out in all the cleaning and the light carding.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Travis Sims
PGCA Member

Member Info

Absolutely Dale did that for a reason. Bruce's explanation sounds interesting and you can see that the matting and rib inscription is quit faint. Other than it might not want to come off, i'd say Dale knows best.
Travis Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Bruce,
Don't get me wrong I'm not questioning Dale's ability at all. There is however something on that top rib that obviously would not come off during the refinishing process. Whatever it is it is washing out the matting as well as the engraving. It's too bad Dale was unable to remove it. I still can't believe I did not notice it until it was pointed out.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,925 Times in 12,563 Posts

I've seen several sets of refinished Damascus barrels with the rib in that condition. Whatever is is, it is on the surface and there must be some product that will free it and allow for its removal
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

I could not see any kind of finish coating on the rib. Whatever it is, its in the metal, and the rib matting was not as sharp as it should be, and to card out the darkness to find the damascus pattern below would have significantly reduced even the existing degraded matting.
I have seen hundreds of damascus barrels, and I have not seen that situation before. Of course Dale has seen many more than me. I appreciate this far predates epoxy coatings, but I looked for some kind of coating like that which might chip off, and saw nothing but what I would describe as clean, but dark, metal. I have no idea what it could be, maybe some kind of dye and a carded matting was a good guess. I did not look at it through a magnifying glass, just with my reading glasses that I have to wear any more because I'm getting too damn old. It could be a coating, but its certainly a coating I am not familiar with.

"Gunsmiths" do strange and wonderous things. Not long ago, he had a rib on an Acme fluid steel 20ga that had been set in with Cerroset, a compound used for casting a chamber shape replica to determine what casing fits in a rifle chamber. The Cerroset came out in globules in the bottom of the boiling tank used to degrease barrels. The gun had to be sent off and the top and bottom ribs taken out, the barrels cleaned between and the ribs relaid. A buyer had no way of knowing in advance by looking at the barrels, and they rang OK.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 06-23-2009 at 08:45 AM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
Smoothebore
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I guess I'm not very observant either. I was there to see these barrels when they came out of the box from Dale. Asa and I had each sent Dale a set of barrels at the same time to save on shipping costs. Dale completed both sets at the same time and sent them both back for the return trip in the same packing for additional savings. I think what looks like a coating on the rib, is a matter of the photo and lighting. True, a picture doesn't lie. But as Bruce said, It's nothing real noticeable to the naked eye, or at least the naked eye with glasses.

My barrels were the Dam-1 barrels I showed a couple months ago with the very large Damascus pattern. Asa's barrels have O.L. Norsworthy engraved lightly on the rib ahead of Parker Bro. In phone discussions I had with Dale, he said he was afraid the light engraving would be obliterated by the various carding steps. He offered Asa the option of having the engraving re-done, but Asa opted to keep the rib original. So, it appears Dale did just that.

Dave
Dave Purnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #19
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,637 Times in 635 Posts

Well, he has the 32" 10 ga barrels for my DH and I can not wait to see how they turn out.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote