Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,022 Times in 3,231 Posts

Other than the blued safety, nothing about that gun bothers me a bit.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

IMHO I believe the work to be that of Turnbull. You can send him the serial number and they will tell you if they worked on it or not. I bought a GHE 16 in original condition with about 50% CC at the Southern for just north of 5K. PG, SPF and Dogs head butt, 26 inch Damascuss bbls. This gun is very nice and original.

You want us to put a price on this for you which in all fairness to both you and the members of this forum is impossible. Why? because we don't have the gun in hand to examine. IF you would tell us what the asking price is we can at least make an informed guess if its accurate. I would subtract from the value (for barter points) the spacer in the stock but as soon as I acquired the gun it would be off to Harry Lawson to have a wood spacer painted to match the stock grain.

At the end of the day the decision to purchase is yours and yours alone. As a friend would say "you can't pay to much for a nice Parker, you might however pay to early".
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Bill Bates
Forum Associate

Member Info

I collect Smith & Wessons and know well the "you didn't pay to much you; bought to early," saying.

The Parker for me will be a shooter. Honestly if you all had told me it looked like original case colors then I would pass and let a collector tuck it away. I have enough guns cluttering up the safe that don't ever get shot. Myself I would feel comfortable at $4 to 5K which might be possible but I also don't want to be to early.
Bill Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Bill Bates's homepage!
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

You still haven't said what the asking price is. How long are the barrels and whats the choke? Not that it matters to value (unless the barrels are 32's) I'm just curious. At 4-5K I don't think you would be paying early.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #15
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Edgar, what's wrong with a blued safety on a Parker? Do you prefer them left polished silver? I don't think they were case colored at the factory, were they?
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,922 Times in 12,561 Posts

They were. And we really can't tell if that one is blued or color case hardened and taken on a darker hue.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I must have been away from buying Parkers too long. In my opinion, $5000 for an obviously redone Parker with a cut stock and non original trigger and lengthened chambers is more than I would pay. The hole in the lower rib gives away the barrel redo. Again, in my opinion only, the gun would be easy to buy and hard to sell to a knowledgeable collector.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,022 Times in 3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Julian View Post
Edgar, what's wrong with a blued safety on a Parker? Do you prefer them left polished silver? I don't think they were case colored at the factory, were they?
No, I also don't believe they were case hardened. I may be wrong, but I believe they were niter blued, which wears fairly quickly. The trigger guards were also niter blued. The safety on the subject gun appears to be hot blued, but if it's not, and it may just be the photo, appears to have the shine and hue of hot bluing.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,359 Times in 4,725 Posts

In my opinion, the gun has been refinished for sure. The colors and barrels exhibit no wear at all. And the stock finish is good, but the darkening up by the head and just the overall appearance of the wood points to refinishing. A gun with that high of original metal finish would not need a stock refinish. Also, if the gun was used much at all in the past 100 years, there would be some wear to the bottom of the action and the guard bow.
Also, the fact that the barrels have a weep hole tells that they have been blued since they left Meriden.

Speaking of the colors... They are VERY good in my opinion. I think that those colors are one of the best representations of what Meriden colors looked like in that time period.

The gun may or may not be able to be converted to double triggers. I think that altering of the trigger slots is required for a miller installation. So, that cannot easily be reversed without replacing the plate. Also, a large amount of wood would have been removed from inside the head to allow clearance do he trigger mechanism. So, a conventional DT safety setup would not work without a bit of wood repair.
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,922 Times in 12,561 Posts

Edgar, please show us a picture of the safety slide and top tang of your "Pristine VH".
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote