Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #11
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,522 Times in 4,755 Posts

For transport, a compact trunk case, canvas bout style or LOM is best. For actual hunting where you may be in and out for short hunts in various locations, a long zip-up slip is most convenient.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #12
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,512 Times in 3,327 Posts

I concur with the long case for hunting/shooting trips. I use a Filson and/or Boyt long canvas case and also have each gun in a gun sock. The long cases fit nicely and snuggly atop my folded up back truck cab seats, out of the way and out of sight, but readily accessible. I damaged the stock of a nice gun once when I used to carry guns in take down cases. Never again.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #13
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Garry, I totally agree with your method. Any of my guns that are going on a hunting trip with me ride in a full length case (I second your Filson, Boyt. decision, as well), but they are also in a sock, then inside the gun case. I may drop the sock when actively moving from spot to spot, but I always case the gun. The sock just provides an additional layer of protection while traveling.

Incidentally, I also store every gun of mine in my gun safes in a sock. i picked that habit up from an old Kentucky "backyard" gun dealer. You can place guns in and out of your safe(s) a little easier if they are protected that way. It really turned out to be a blessing when the tornado hit my farm last year. The gun safes took a few cartwheels through the debris field, but every gun escaped unscathed and in perfect original condition.

Dave

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2023, 12:07 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,230 Times in 4,923 Posts

Dave, can you post some pictures of the carnage involving your gun safes?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #15
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,512 Times in 3,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tatman View Post
Garry, I totally agree with your method. Any of my guns that are going on a hunting trip with me ride in a full length case (I second your Filson, Boyt. decision, as well), but they are also in a sock, then inside the gun case. I may drop the sock when actively moving from spot to spot, but I always case the gun. The sock just provides an additional layer of protection while traveling.

Incidentally, I also store every gun of mine in my gun safes in a sock. i picked that habit up from an old Kentucky "backyard" gun dealer. You can place guns in and out of your safe(s) a little easier if they are protected that way. It really turned out to be a blessing when the tornado hit my farm last year. The gun safes took a few cartwheels through the debris field, but every gun escaped unscathed and in perfect original condition.

Dave
Glad to learn your guns made it through the twister. I also store my guns in socks in the safe…barrels down.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #16
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bill, let me look through the pictures from immediately after the tornado. We recovered the gun safes from the rubble pretty quickly to ensure their safety, and i'm not sure if I have photos of my shop after it was leveled.

Garry, yes, I agree.... barrels down!

Dave

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2023, 05:04 PM   #17
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,527 Times in 1,153 Posts

A Browning single, similar to a Boyt I guess, and a double case from Galazan that my wife bought me years ago...

Unread 02-05-2023, 09:31 PM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,198 Times in 3,270 Posts

I also take my guns hunting in a soft, padded zipper case. One thing I'm keenly aware of is that it is laying perfectly flat, and not atop anything. A friend managed to snap his gun at the wrist when something heavy, a cooler if I remember correctly, fell over on top of it.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 02-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #19
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,293 Times in 270 Posts

I just wanted to make a plug for Boyt. I have several of there cases and I had one with a plastic latch attached to the leather buckle strap crack and I contacted them and they sent me a brand new case. All they would have needed to do was send me the leather strap piece with the plastic latch attached but they said it was easier to send me a new case then just a part. They are a company that stands behind there product in my experience.

"May the honkers fly low and slow."
Douglas Bandemer
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matt Buckley For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2023, 08:20 AM   #20
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,149 Times in 1,489 Posts

I have a dozen cases I have accumulated over the years. My favorite case and the one I use when I take a gun out hunting is a case I had made a number of years ago.
It was designed to hold a shotgun whether it was m 410 or an 8 gauge. A thin saddle leather lined with a inner finished leather glued and sewed together. ( a unfinished leather ) will hold dirt and will mar the finish. No sheep skin or other fabrics that hold moisture.
Heavy duty nylon lariat rope covered with leather for handles. Two leather straps secured with brass buckles to close the flap. It has served me well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A0DF6D3-4C58-4BE9-80FE-044EA18A4154.jpg (483.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 7862C29E-37B5-4992-8BB1-2818C6E25C90.jpg (462.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 427DAF6A-9B57-4F22-A7DB-7253A40A8F69.jpg (476.4 KB, 4 views)
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote