Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 09-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

dennis i do not really know where the term wolf came from but the wolf is really a large grub like worm..i m told a certain type of fly bites the squirl and lays a egg in the bite then the egg hatches and turns to a larvae thenlives in the squirl till it finally falls out as a large grub looking worm..i ve seen up to 5 of these grubs or wolves on a squirl very nasty looking holes they leave in the skin but the squirl survives..the wolves fall out when cold weather comes around..many years ago there was no woves found in a squirl or rabbit i am sure even deer get the wolves but i ve never seen one in a deer but i think thats because cold weatheris only time i get to see a deer up real close...they say its ok to eat a squirl were a wolf has been but i dont eat them if they have had a wolf on them.. youre right about these old southern boys we do it up right when it comes to hunting and eating...come on and well show you how its done... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, I have found worms like that in rabbits before winter comes. They are pretty gross looking. Now I wait well into winter before shooting rabbits. I don't think I ever found one in a gray squirrel I shot as a kid but that was at least 50 years ago. I am sure my dad would have pointed it out to us though if we had found any in the meat of the squirrels.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

well i took off about 3.00 and grabbed the johnson 20 ga and hit the woods...was not long i spied a squirl boy was he barking at me i shot but missed some way and never seen that squirl no more..it had rained this morning so it was easy to walk quitely... i eased on and seen another squirl but got no shot...seen something to my left and it was a small doe eating acorns she finally smelt me and took off...i then crossed a ditch i could hear a squirl barking as i got close he quit barking i waited 30 minutes but he had disappered..right before i moved a flock of crows flew over yep you guessed it rite... i then moved to a big hickory tree that was a den tree stayed there for 2 hours i got 2 squirls at this set up..it was getting late an about time to call it quits and i heard some turkeys clucking i counted 10 differant times of there wings beating the air going up to the roost the last turkey flew up close enough for me to see good...i waited till they settled down and backed up and went around them i did not want to spook them... got home and my gradson had come over and skinned the two squirls for me..boy aint life good...the liile 20 ga has got 5 squirls to its credit so far... and i plan to go tommorrw evening if i can find a spot these boys aint bow hunting our bow season starts in the morning... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote