Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

It would be hard to find a 20 ga. Trojan in good condition with good barrels for less then $2000. The barrels are the key component in my mind. Don't worry about chamber length, it's really a non-issue unless poorly altered by someone! If the forend on the gun you are contemplating is a big ugly beavertail, it can be altered and made to look good for perhaps $200 or so. Keep that in mind if you buy and make your offer accordingly. If the rest of the gun is nice with good screws, I hope you can get it.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Blue Collar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill, while I have not viewed this gun yet, I understand from everyone I spoken with that the forend is a "piece of wood". As I have not seen any photos, I am unable to determine what that means. I take it to mean that it is an unfinished piece of wood inletted to attach the hardware. You are the second one to suggest that a forend can be made for ~$200 so I am guessing there must be some history with having this done.

Your guidance on the barrels being key is taken to heart. I am intending to have a gunsmith have a look before I make a decision.

Let me share one more piece of information. I am obviously new to this forum. I am also new to Parkers. I am also brand new to SxS guns in general. In fact, until quite recently I had never shot a SxS, only seen/saw? a few and had little to no desire to shoot and certainly not to own one. A good friend forced me into a hunt this early fall that introduced me to Parkers and worse yet a group of guys who draw you in with the techniques and the morals of the best street pushers. First they let you look at their guns (many quite wonderful) then they offer to let you shoot one, then maybe just carry one for a morning...... The next thing you know, well you get the picture. What kind of friends are these, after all?

So back to my tale. With little knowledge of SxS guns and no knowledge of Parkers I am drug (there is that word again) to the table having a desire to own a Parker and to take my own into the field. My experience with the blood sports goes back a ways and has some breadth but a huge gap in SxS makes it necessary for me to take on a serious research project before buying anything. In fact I can hardly figure out what to look for so research is of the paramount.

Again, one of these ne'er do wells mentioned earlier, was kind enough to loan me a few back issues of Parker Pages, several copies of The Double Gun Journal and graciously a well read set of the The Parker Story. As you see this is all part of an elaborate plan to draw me in further and further to the nefarious mob of no goodnicks who own such infernal machines and use them for their enjoyment and camaraderie. Well, I am on to your game sir, no sir, not me. It takes more than a pretty piece of wood and a well turned set of barrels to draw me away from my other addictions.

So before I make any acquisitions I need information. I am here contemplating the purchase of a gun. I have been encouraged not to acquire this piece and am giving significant weight to this admonition. But I must make my own decision. It further needs to be with some knowledge and understanding as to why to adhere to his suggestion or ignore it that I come to you fine ladies and gentlemen for additional points of experience to assist me. To those who have taken the time to offer their suggestions, I appreciate and consider each of them. I know little of the respondents but it appears one may be a gunsmith and several who are moderate to experienced collectors and maybe one or more are casual collectors and shooters.

To each of you, I say thanks for reading and participating in my education. Shotguns are complex and tricky things that get a lot of my attention. This is an enjoyable journey and one I trust you have made yourselves and/or are making now. If not maybe you can see a little bit of this shooter behind the curtain as you help me on my quest to shoot my own Parker Brothers shotgun.

Thanks, enjoy.
Russ Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Lindsay For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,587 Times in 12,457 Posts

Russ, there is no good reason to bypass that Trojan unless the barrels are damaged or the expense to refurbish it is prohibitive. Please show us some pictures when you are able to.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Blue Collar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, short of this firearm being a total wreck, I am leaning your way. I am almost always driven into a hobby via a project like this. This gun has that feel to it. I should be in a position next week to make a decision.

I am also getting some late breaking recommendations from one of those afore mentioned ne'er do wells, that his earlier recommendation may have been premature, and had I been more forthcoming he might have suggested differently.

All of that said, we like to think the world is perfect and we can know everything there is to know before making a decision. Well, life quickly teaches us that knowing everything is just not possible. And I submit not nearly as much fun. As long as the funds are "discretionary", and in the world of shotguns they are almost universally so, then find out what you can, make a decision and chalk bad decisions up to the price of education.

Regards, Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Lindsay For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,148 Posts

Going into SxS shotguns, and Parkers in particular, is a progression. It's a journey, of sorts.
It starts out with the recognition that a SxS is a lot more pleasant to carry in the field, and then you get a taste of quality, tradition, and history. This path can lead in many directions, all good.
The Trojan is an entry level quality double gun. It will lead you to the path of the Parker Gun, and Story. Enjoy.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,221 Times in 1,096 Posts

Russ, check your PM's. I believe I have seen this gun.
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Blue Collar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well, in the "ain't it a small world department".... Phil sends the post above and further sends me a PM asking if the gun is located at such and such a gun shop as he heard the retired owner discussing the details with someone on the phone.

How is that even possible.

Yes, Phil is right, it was me on the phone and that is the Trojan I have been posting about. Now here is the kicker. He has offered to go back to the shop and take some photos to send along to me!

Now I am a Scotmsman and an Irishman and I am speechless!

I actually made the 6 hour trip down to this gun shop to view the gun and make a determination. My intent upon leaving my driveway was to buy the gun. It was all that it was described, with one specific difference. I located a dent in the right barrel at about the mid-point! As I have come to find out this is not either a big deal or something to be concerned with. It was however, for someone who has always purchased new or as new firearms. It was a deal breaker at the time. I have since done a lot of research and am confident this can be repaired with minimal risk.

So barring something between now and mid-week next week I will move from the ranks of Parker admirer to officially being a Parker collector. Though the collection be humble. But, as Bill Mullins our esteemed President wrote in the Parker Pagess volume 20, Autumn 2013, pps 10, a collection is "one or more".

Well then color me a collector.

I will post some photos as soon as Phil or I have some. I will also use this thread to chronicle the guns transition from its' current state to "Shooter Trojan". So stay tuned if you've a mind to. You can at least watch as one morphs from new PGCA member to ne'er do well, right before your very eyes!

We are far from done here, so I will from time to time need further assistance. Until then put your feet up, relax and have cool drink (as we say in the mid-west) ;<), and again, thanks for help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Lindsay For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Blue Collar
PGCA Member

Member Info

A fellow PGCA member, Phil Yearout, took some photos of the Trojan 20 gauge, for me this weekend. He and others have identified some things that need fixing. As I am finding with this gun and any that are not demanding top $ prices, there are things that drive the seller to a lower price point. In several cases they are obvious, and some of these are more subtle to this novice.

First, let's look at the obvious; the forend, which has hardware that is s/n matched but my untrained eye suggests this is not original wood.

Second let's look at the possible crack in the stock near the trigger guard/action.

Then we must look at the dent/ding in the right barrel.

Next, the screws are out of index and buggered up.

We also see the top lever a little off of center.

We probably also have some oil saturation of the wood surrounding the action.

The extractors are so gummed up we spent 15 minutes getting them working well enough to put the gun back together so I would expect the same from the rest of the "innards".

For now let me say that I believe all of these things are repairable and most can be done by mere mortals with basic knowledge and skills of a gunsmith. I am not that person but am on a journey to add those skills to my repertoire. What I can't beg someone to help me do, or can do myself, I will farm out to professionals who do know how to do these things.

My intent is to show that someone with minimal skills, even less $, can with the help of some good friends (the afore mentioned ne'er do wells), take a gun that is really in need of some TLC and turn it back into the wonderful tool it was initially manufactured to be.

I told "the guys", over an adult beverage, while on a hunt this fall, that they had me hooked on Parkers. That I was now looking for a gun. That I preferred a small bore in 16 or 20 gauge. And that I wanted it for cheap.

I realize that last statement is relative. But hey, I could run to my local box store and get a synthetic stock parkerized barrel gun and be hunting by dark! Don't forget the camo face-paint. Now what would be the fun in that?

Come on a long it will be even less expensive for y'all, 'cuz by-standing is free.
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,912 Times in 4,669 Posts

It is good to see photos of this gun. What a forend on it! That would be an easy thing to correct, be it a replacement or a new one. Other matters like the dented barrel and screws are easily corrected by someone who knows what they are doing. A good disassembly and cleaning would be in order too.

With these things done, you would have a great shooter.

Just a note about the top lever position. It does not really matter much as to where it is, the thing to look at is the filed dish on the top of the action. If the dish on the lever lines up with the top of the frame, then it is not worn. And if the action is tight, then there is no worries.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
Blue Collar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brian, your comments are much appreciated. Each comment gives me a bit more information to work with.

I will check out the filed dish when I finally get this thing in my hands in a week or so.

And, yeah, that forend is a dandy!