Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

well i got the left barrel rechambered...every thing stayed within spec s....in fact it has more chamber thichness than a single barrel 3 1/2 inch h r single barrel i own... i proofed the gun by tying a string on the trigger and getting behind the corner of my shed...i fired it 3 times with no problems...gonna try it a few more times and see how it patterns on paper... i had already glassed the stock but may have to pin the stock also for its sure gonna kick...have a slip onrecoil reducers on it now was bearable with 3 inch shells but its gonna be a hand ful may have to lead the stock....if this thing kicks harder than this h r single barrel ive got i may have to buy me a 410... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

shot the gun 15 more times from the shoulder this afternoon...gun is manage able with the 3 1/2 inch loads...but kicks pretty good...i fired 5 3 1/2 in and 10 3 inch shells...gun paterened with no 5 shot in both lenths of shells irs shooting at least a 85 percent patern with the 3 1/2 inch and shooting about the same pattern with the 3 inch...now all i got to do is get theright side barrel finished and checked out...ps forgot to mention i counter bored the gun 2 inches ...... charlie
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

reloaded up several 3 1/2 inch shells....reloading book said to use 41 grains of bluedot with 2 ounce of shot.... pressure 11000 psi....they pattered well and did not kick as bad as the factory ammo...this should be a fine rainy day gun for turkeys...i slipped on one of those new arm saver pads its worth the money... charlie
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mr
Charlie if you need to sell your parker 8ga to fund your 12ga research let me know Hahaha.
Oh talking about boomers i havr a box of 3.5" 10ga loads 3oz! Payload in a 10bore.
7.75$ per shell someone gave me the 5rd box
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

milt thanks for the offer to fund my 12 ga research.... i too wanted a 3 ounce load im the magnum 10...destrey hoffard fonf me the site info for the company that loads these3 ounce loads....i know they were well over a hundred dollars abox of 25...i did not buy them but i did load up 3 ounces of shot in the magnum shell....i did not have a chronograph to test speed but i could tell by the way the 5 gallon bucket i was using for a target did not rock and roll like a 2 1/4 ounce load did to it...i read the factory speed for the 3 ounce load and it was pretty slow compared to the speed of the 2 1/4 ounce loads...plus the patterning suffered with the 3 ounce load and penatration is not real good....plus recoil is very heavy using the 3 ounce load..i was shooting my loads in a ithaca mag ten in other words a automatic ten..if this load had been shot in a magnum ten double it would be a handful... so in my opinion the 3 ounce load is too much for the ten...it could be made with more powder and get the speed up but would build very high pressures and would be a unbearable load to shoot...even in a auto...would be too much for the shoulder....only way to solve the hard kick would be to build a a heavier frame ten of about at least 13 pounds...when your shooting a 3 ounce load you are really shooting a lite load for a four bore...and you aint got the weight of the 4 in a ten...unless youve got one of them really heavy tens some of the boys got here... charlie
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Might as well get a 8ga then lol. My 4ga muzzleoader single barrel english fowler with a conversion style percussion lock will cost 1750$ complete and 120 day build time. I was told by aa guy with a blunder buss that 5oz @1100 fps inst bad in his 8lb gun because black powder make a smooth recoil motion .
hope mine will be in the 15-20lb range. Might try a 4oz load to. I want to make paper cartridge for it.
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote