Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Hoppe's No. 9 and vat 69
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Hoppe's No. 9 and vat 69

I've heard of great combinations for the senses, but scotch whisky, pipe smoke, a fire in the fireplace and Parkers being annointed with good old Hoppe's- grew up with all that. Sort of like what a outdoor writer once said: "Hunting makes coffee taste better in the morning, and whisky (or whiskey for us Irish laddies) taste better at night.

Went to an area farm for ducks this afternoon. Winter storms are nigh, ponds have some trace ice. Took two greenheads (with the M12 however) and saw several flocks of resident Canadas, they become legal again Friday. Stopped at local Irish Pub and had an Irish coffee with a shot of Bushmills on the side with some farmer friends- Alas, no Hoppe's in the air, but Dawn, the barmaid had some new fragrance she was trying out.

No Chanel No. 5, but the State football championships were on Channel 5 on the big screen. Darn fine day in my book, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all as well!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'ts easy to be a good host to capital folks like you and Bessie. The fez hunting was great but I really liked the company in the feed truck and the gate opener The picture on bojack the dog showes how me and charlie felt at the end of the day. He'll be back out here if i have to go get him myself. And i plan a trip to miss this summer. thanks fellows chcalvin's pics 083.jpg

calvin's pics 085.jpg

calvin's pics 097.jpg

Oh Bojack said he would share his seat with you anytime.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calvin humburg For Your Post:
Great fotos Calvin- are there any more of the hunt?
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Great fotos Calvin- are there any more of the hunt?

Now I get to see what my PGCA friend Charlie C. looks like-But what really got my attention was your dog- and his name "BoJack"-- Any story behind that you'd care to share with us?

Two dogs, neither bird dogs, I have known had close names to your dog- A neighbor lad some years ago, helped me build the deck and repair the shed-- had a Bluetick hound named "Backstep"- he told me his father named him that, beause whenever he encountered a raccoon on the ground he took a step backwards, then held his ground and waited for the raccoon to make his move I'd guess!

A lady I knew from Church had a small mixed breed she had named "Bo Jangles"--apparently he'd chase her cat across the linoleum floor and loose his "gription" and his nails would sorta "tap dance" and he went into his "buck and wing" number.

Most of my dogs have had fairly straightforward names, my Lab is named for the ill-fated racehorse in the GodFather movie, Khartoum. But there was Riley and Murphy and a few other Irish names for the others, now retrieving dead pigeons and mallards for St. Peter I'd guess-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

Calvin,

Is that Jett with the short barreled 8 gauge? He's a big boy for a 12 year old. Good looking young fellow too. Your giving him great stories to tell his grandchildren.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Hes a bluehealer and my Pappy named him I'll ask him if there is any history to the name today. My first healers name was dog. got me a bird dog coming don't know about him yet. ch Yes that is Jett and thanks for the kind words he just got out of basketball pratice and us 3 headed out into the country to shoot it. He was pretty sad he only got to hunt with Charlie sat and sun. O i'v a great desire for that 8!! ch
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

All the blue healers I've known were a one person dog. They are loyal and posessive and used around here to work cattle. I would give a horse and $100.00 for that 8 gauge.

Harry
Unread 12-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

what kind of horse do you have....... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

calvin we sure had a great time out in kansas ....i enjoyed the hunting and the the land scape but we enjoyed most was you and your familys hospitality....not hard to get along with good folks from kansas and fellow parker people...we sure did look like old bo jack at the end of day.....one things sure tell himi may except that invitation to share his seat again...... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #19
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

BoJack is a good cattle dog and a fair bird dog but he can't hear so good anymore riding in tractor to much and a lot of shooting out pickup so I can't call him back if he gets on a runners trail you just have to keep up. He's a very frindly dog unless hes in my pickup and I'm not, my buddy calls him my car alarm. His name comes from an ol coonhunter's coondog that uste to hunt with my Dad years back Dad said he might of been a bluetick but wasen't sure. When I got him Dad said he looks like a BoJack. ch Sometime i'll tell the story bought when he went and visited the high falootin lady's wimerhimer female hunting dog Taking Jett deer hunting today after sunday school mom an't to popular when he wakes up i'll bet. But he has to get ready 4 the christmas play wish us safe hunt.thanks ch
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,

It's a great old thoroughbred. Bo Hog is a spry 22 years old and never raced. Cow hocked, back in the knees and U neck, but these small conformation faults never affected the way he processes hay despite the parrot mouth. He looks like the teaser rather than the sire on his papers. A wonderful conversation piece and educational tool. The swayback is a real plus.....

Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post: