Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,585 Posts

A friend gave me the breasts off a Canada with a 59" wingspan. They were so tough you couldn't cut the gravy with a chain saw
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

last goose i tried was back in about 69 toughest piece of meat i ever tried... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,190 Posts

I gave that huge one Dad and I killed to a german lady who was going to roast it for Christmas. I never did hear the outcome but my guess is it was a little on the tough side.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Peter,

That's one big goose for certain! Please tell me you put in on the scale. My father and I doubled up on one back 20 or more years ago that tipped the scales at just over 19 pounds. Nobody believes me but it was weighed on a legal scale and that's the absolute truth. That's the biggest I'd ever seen but there used to be one mounted in a store down at home that supposedly went over 20 pounds. I'd say yours had to be in the 13 or 14 pound range at least seeing it's size when compared to your Johnson.

Destry
Destry,
I did not weigh that goose but still can as it is hanging in my shop. I am old school and hang game birds for at least a week. Also, I killed another on Sunday not quite as big, but big. Our local geese are descendants of an attempt years ago to re-establish geese around here. They were quite successful and the parent stock was the race of giant canadas. They are fun to shoot but cannot compare on the table to a 7-8 pound bird. I will try and find a picture of son Wyatt with his first goose from a couple of years ago. It was huge and plucking it was a requirement since it was his first. It would have been easier to pull the wool off a sheep.
The second goose from Sunday was not quite as large and it was snowing so I took out a Citori rather than the Parker. No pictures. One fun note, while waiting for the geese, ducks, mostly malards, came in by the hundreds, including a few flights of drake pintails already doing their courtship flights. Very fun! Duck season closed awhile ago.
Will weigh the goose but I don't think it is all that heavy being most food is snow covered and they are hustling for a living.
-plc-
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

OK, I checked the weight on my official bathroom scale. Goose #1, dead 4 days now, weighs a paltry 10 pounds. Goose #2, dead 2 days, weighs 9 pounds. As the picture showed, these are very large birds. Given the snow and cold we have had they are not in good flesh. The current trend is for small grain producers to disc, sprout and re-disc their barley stubble in the fall. This does not help out the wintering fowl. We do not grow corn in this area so barley stubble and/or triticale or wheat stubble is about it. When we change out our field to a small grain I will not disc my stubble and no-till into it in the spring. Then I will show you some waterfowl pictures.
Unread 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wow that does seem light for such a massive bird! I agree, it must be the weather and lack of food. That's a 13 or 15 pounder if I ever saw one.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yeah, looking again at my tear weight, they were probably more like 11 and 10 and may have dessicated a little hanging, but they are definitely what we would call razor breasts if they were ducks. I will not pick for roasting for sure. Probably will perform a radical mastectomy. I like geese best early in the year when they are still in family flocks. Some of these big ones are old. I killed one that was banded as an adult and was banded eight years when I got it!
Unread 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

'had a friend that went by the name of "Big Johnson". Girls loved him.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

My guess he used his quite a bit.

DLH
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Heald View Post
'had a friend that went by the name of "Big Johnson". Girls loved him.
Was his first name Lyndon?

Not to get into who's is bigger, but my son and a buddy brought one down in January that weighed 22 lbs. They weighed it on a postal scale, but did not measure the wingspan. Edward said the ground shook when it came down.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote