Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,179 Posts

We tried eating a couple barn pigeons we shot when we were kids. They tasted about like a dove but were tough as bull whip leather.

In the old days down in PA all the pigeons from the shoots were eaten I'm sure. Poor country folks weren't going to waste that much free meat. I've heard mention of them being boiled and then made into pigeon pie or stew more than once.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Lotsabeagles
Forum Associate

Member Info

I tried frying some pigeons once. As Destry said, tough. Afterward, I got to thinking that parboiling them might have made a big difference. My neighbor said as a kid (1920s), his mother would fix pigeons anytime the kids would shoot a mess from the barn.
Norm Growden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wood Pigeons are eaten all the time in the UK.

I wouldn't have a problem eating a pigeon long as it's a country shot bird.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 09-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,993 Times in 4,810 Posts

I don't think there are many "Country" pigeons at our shoots. I ate a few from PA box bird shoots when I was barely a teenager, but I was not impressed. I never tried it again.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #15
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Fun for all (except for the pigeons) JMHO .... George
Unread 09-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,569 Posts

Our Springer Spaniel club kept a pigeon coop for training birds. Each spring we had to clean out the coop. Two years in a row, we took out 27 trash cans of pigeon poo. Lost my taste for eating pigeon after that
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Ben Rawls
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think pigeon shooting got it's start in the days when the Passenger Pigeon was a pest. It was a wild bird that numbered in the billions and could descend on a farmers field and consume his years crop in minutes. They were killed by the millions by farmers and market hunters. They had a fatal flaw in their reproductive cycle:they mated in the air in huge swirling masses. It was a hit or miss proposition and very inefficient. As the numbers declined their reproductive rate fell and before anyone knew they were extinct.
They were sold as market birds and were reportedly very tasty.
I feel the same way about city pigeons as previously stated about rats. A Dr. Fox did a PhD study on the ecology of dogs,rats and pigeons in Baltimore in the early '70's. He found that pigeons many times lived on a diet of dog feces. Dogs ran cats off trying to kill rats. Interesting study. As I remember it was published as "The Ecology of the Feral dog" or some such.
A friend once told me a story of a pigeon shoot he went to and thought he was going to be shot himself after starting to miss shots late in the day.
Ben Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #18
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rawls View Post
I think pigeon shooting got it's start in the days when the Passenger Pigeon was a pest. It was a wild bird that numbered in the billions and could descend on a farmers field and consume his years crop in minutes. They were killed by the millions by farmers and market hunters. They had a fatal flaw in their reproductive cycle:they mated in the air in huge swirling masses. It was a hit or miss proposition and very inefficient. As the numbers declined their reproductive rate fell and before anyone knew they were extinct.
I feel the same way about city pigeons as previously stated about rats. A Dr. Fox did a PhD study on the ecology of dogs,rats and pigeons in Baltimore in the early '70's. He found that pigeons many times lived on a diet of dog feces. Dogs ran cats off trying to kill rats. Interesting study. As I remember it was published as "The Ecology of the Feral dog" or some such.
A friend once told me a story of a pigeon shoot he went to and thought he was going to be shot himself after starting to miss shots late in the day.
Ben: I understand the rational behind the eradication of what some segments of our ancestors percieved to be pests. Even now there are efforts to eliminate Canada Geese from high end subdivisions. But wouldn't it be a sight to see a swirling mass of thousands of Passenger Pigeons flying as one and mating in the air? I have been to dove shoots here in South Carolina where I was a likely to get shot as were the doves. Some of the idiots there would not even bother to pick up their birds. I do have a problem with folks that use God's creatures only as targets of opportunity.

Best Regards, George
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #19
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ben,

If I was you, I'd buy that book my friend wrote before making statements about passenger pigeons. They ate mast and berries mostly, they weren't a farm pest in hardly any way. They didn't mate while flying in the air either. Their only real mating problem was that they laid a single egg and didn't usually nest every year.

DLH

[QUOTE=Ben Rawls;148048]I think pigeon shooting got it's start in the days when the Passenger Pigeon was a pest. It was a wild bird that numbered in the billions and could descend on a farmers field and consume his years crop in minutes. They were killed by the millions by farmers and market hunters. They had a fatal flaw in their reproductive cycle:they mated in the air in huge swirling masses. It was a hit or miss proposition and very inefficient. As the numbers declined their reproductive rate fell and before anyone knew they were extinct.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,672 Times in 1,283 Posts

And I think the real problem was the deforestation of their nesting grounds. Millions of acres turned to farm land.
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post: