Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,267 Posts

That could present a buying opportunity as well
allen newell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Unfortunately, alot of the people at Cabelas Gun Rooms are not all that informed on older and collectible guns. They just need people to man the store. I was recently discussing a French 16 sxs at the Gun Room in Wheeling and mentioned it was short chambered at 2 1/2" and showed him the barrel flats marked 65mm. He said I was wrong and that 65 is the bore diam. of a 16 ga. They were asking $1200 for the gun and I showed him that the gun rarely goes for over 500 on several internet sites. It appears to be a French guild gun, and no manufacturers name can be found. Needless to say, it is still there.
Wow a 2 1/2'' bore diameter! Must have been a cannon. This is why we need to teach the metric system early.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

What is said here about Cabela's is so true. When they opened the Rogers, MN store they had a knowledgeable guy in charge. They kept him around (he moved his family to MN from another state) while they got the store going then after a year he was gone. They've been open about 6-7 years now and have had as many Library managers.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Farrell For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What's the problem with this location? What is Cabella's doing that they can't hold their Gun Library Managers. If there has been a succession of Managers who leave, you can bet Cabella's is doing something wrong.
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

They are on salary so you get paid for 40hrs and work 70+.If you need to go look at a gun collection you usually do it on your day off. No time off for hunting, shooting etc.

It was without a doubt the worst year of my life!
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

When I retired from the corporate world, I thought I'd teach high school for a while. I decided to work for a bit as a substitute teacher (bad move, subs are not treated well by today's students). When the Assistant Principal approached me one day and asked me to come work full time, I asked him about time off in the Fall (for you know what) and he said NO WAY< ABSOLUTELY NOT POSSIBLE! That was the day I decided it wasn't the right environment for me. Company's have to be flexible today (apart from the recession) or they loose good people.
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,683 Times in 3,143 Posts

I'm not sure any particular Cabelas is better or worse than other's with regard to how they retain their Gun Room managers. The East Hartford store had a guy in there when they first opened who wouldn't' come out of his office for anyone. If you had a question, an underling would take it to Joe, who would wave his hands around, like it was the stupidest question he had heard all week, and send the peon back out. He finally got fired. They guy in there now isn't the sharpest cheddar in the pantry, but he's friendly and does what he can.
I remember Jack Dudley from 20 years ago when he was retained to appraise my collection for my ex's divorce atty. He had to write up about 150 pieces, and I left him to do his thing. when it began to get dark, I went downstairs to see if he was still alive and he was not half done. I offered to help him to speed things along, but left the values up to him. We knocked of the rest in an hour and when he showed me what he had written before I came down, I was stunned how little he knew. I will grant you he was a gentleman, but he had had 3 jobs in 3 years and I began to see why. I guess he's learned a fair bit in the past 20 years.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote