Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Snows
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
hugh rather
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Snows

I'm not sure you will like those snows when they start outcompeting your ducks.Hunt the snows all you can.These are some great answers,some unexpected.When I was young I would have said north Mississippi with our ducks, Canada geese,doves and the midday bird ,quail[after early day ducks or deer hunting].Alas, the bobwhite has fallen on very hard times ,haven't hunted them here in twenty years, only token populations and preserve hunting remain.
hugh rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,185 Times in 2,102 Posts

When I was about to graduate from optometry school in 1983 at Ohio State, my requirements were that where ever I went, there had to be good grouse hunting and walleye fishing. I obtained licenses in Wisconsin and Michigan as well as my home state of Ohio. I actually had great job offers at the Marshfield c linic in Park Falls, Wis. and in Escanaba in the UP. I ended up 10 miles from home, close to family and my ailing mother.
Grouse hunting in eastern Ohio was as good as it gets back then. 30 flushes per day were not uncommon, and there was lots of territory to hunt. Shooting 50 birds/year was not difficult if you had good dogs--and I did. Started going to the UP in 1986, and the hunting was not any better than home, justa whole lot easier--no hills and no thorns on everything that grows--what they call thorns in the UP just tickles.
Round 2000, the grouse population started to nosedive and continues to worsen. In 2009, I self imposed a moratrium on shooting grouse--I still hunted, but wouldnt shoot. 4 flushes a day are about it now.
The entire southern Appalachian grouse pop. is suffering, but the northen Appalachian regions are stll ok. The boundary seems to be I-80 in Pa. Above that, good grouse hunting still exists and below you are just exercising your dogs.
Family is all gone from this area now, as are all the jobs and industry. Steel mills are being cut up for scrap metal. It is bleak here. I would move after I reitire in a couple of years, but my wifes family is here and my son lives in Pittsburg( less than an hour from Wheeling). I will probably start to make severl serious bird hunting trips/ year. As for now , the high point of the year continues to be the 2 weeks spent in the UP each year.
So, if you live in an area with good bird hunting, you are lucky and I hope to hell it continues.
Have guns/dogs will travel.
Harold
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harold Lee Pickens For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,556 Times in 506 Posts

Westward Ho to Idaho. It has some great bird hunting and big and small game. About the best weather you could ask for and great gun loving people. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas L. Benson Sr. For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,474 Times in 4,467 Posts

It is kind of like asking what gun is good for all kinds of hunting. Just like different guns are suited for different kinds of hunting/shooting, so different parts of the country are good for different kinds of game. That keeps things interesting
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,356 Times in 3,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Have you ever thought about seceding from NYC and starting your own state- we did that in West Virginia.
Harold

A bill to do that gets proposed very few years, in fact one was submitted shortly after the so called "SAFE"* act was passed it will never happen unless only upstate gets to vote on it.

but you're right. Western NY and the Finger Lakes is otherwise a great area for an outdoors man.

*State's Anti Firearms Elitists"
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Seceding from NYC is a great idea. Then all you'd need is a 2-3 mile wide moat with no bridges and inhabited with thousands of starving Australian salt water crocs.... maybe then you get some peace and freedom....! Shock collars on every state politician might help also. Every voting citizen gets a controller....

My favorite bird hunting state is Montana.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

I understand the suggestions from many forum members regarding such places as New York, Michigan, Montana, etc. However, I'm hung up on the first part of the inquiry; "best place to live in the U..S.".... Most of the places mentioned are colder than a tax collector's heart from December to March. I'd be inclined towards the suggestion of South Carolina or some other warmer locale with a gun & hunting friendly environment, plenty of upland and waterfowl hunting along with Turkey, lower taxes, good weather year round and good fishing as a bonus. What you give up is hunting for ruffed grouse within a short drive. Small price to pay for all of the other benefits.
Michael Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

good answer mike very well thought out... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

What you give up is hunting for ruffed grouse within a short drive. Small price to pay for all of the other benefits.[/QUOTE]

Not if your a Grouse hunter I'd be hard pressed to give up all Michigan has to offer even winter as you can always travel down south and hunt Quail or go west for Quail and other birds. The Carolina's or any other southern state or in the Southwest shuch as AZ, NM,TX in the summer no way
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

C.O.B., You seem willing to take a long trip for quail and other birds, likewise one can take a trip up north for Ruffed Grouse; all without putting up with Michigan's winters, politicians and taxes. Each to their own. Call me in January.
Michael Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote