Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Blue Book values- how accurate?
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Blue Book values- how accurate?

I borrowed a friend's copy of the 2010 edition of this blue book by S.P. Fjestad- page 1381- shows the VH in 12 gauge in 80% condition as to finish at $4000.00 No deduction for after-market choke tubes, whether by Briley or other barrel experts. How accurate is this Blue Book for realistic market values for long out-of-production double shotguns, I wonder?
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,731 Posts

Grantham, I don't put much faith in the Blue Book. A Parker or any collectible gun is worth what the seller will take and the buyer will pay. A wise old collector told me years ago that"You can't pay too much for a high condition original gun you can only pay it too soon"
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,637 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Forester View Post
I borrowed a friend's copy of the 2010 edition of this blue book by S.P. Fjestad- page 1381- shows the VH in 12 gauge in 80% condition as to finish at $4000.00 No deduction for after-market choke tubes, whether by Briley or other barrel experts. How accurate is this Blue Book for realistic market values for long out-of-production double shotguns, I wonder?
The Blue Book values are compiled by Bill Mullins, a PGCA director, coauthor of the Parker Story and long time Parker editor. They are reasonably accurate. The inaccuracy comes from over estimation of condition or not reading the preamble to the section which refers to Parkers in original condition. After market choke tubes are not original condition. Blue Book values are historical and people use historical sales data for all kinds of purposes, such as home sales, land sales and old gun sales, or a person can make up his own.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,731 Posts

Exactly...And you can have two very knowledgable collectors looking at the same gun and be apart on condition. I hold to my original statement. And I am sure Bill knows I mean no disrespect.
Unread 04-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #15
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Very informative.

So, as the book I have is 4 years ago, would that same VH 12 (given accurate condition today) be worth more than $4000 in today's market. The same person also has a AH Fox 12 Grade A- same specifications as the VH 12 (double triggers, standard extractors) but without the added Briley choke tubes, and more as 90% condition- not refinished. I realize this is a Parker based website, and not geared to the Fox guns per se, but the same 2010 Blue Book shows this Fox gun at about half the value of the VH-

I tend to agree that in spite of the expense the owner incurred for the Briley chokes- installed into uncut-down barrels, that might make the VH less "original" and worth a bit less that this Blue Book indicates??

Many thanks to all who have answered my posting, lot of good solid data and insight here, all for the asking!!
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Altered barrels be they cut or have screw in chokes reduces the value of the gun by half. Use this as a guide and you will not pay too much.

An 80% gun would be a screamer! Please shoot some photos and share with us.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,212 Times in 4,914 Posts

Grantham, please post the exact wording from the Blue Book that tells you that there is no value penalty for screw chokes in a $4000 VH.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,491 Times in 4,751 Posts

When I mention that collector value is greatly diminished by the addition of screw in chokes. I mean exactly that. An original condition gun has been altered greatly from its original configuration and the value as an original collector is no more.
And as I mention, there is another side to this coin and that is the "shooter" aspect of it. A shooter is something that is in a condition that reduces collector value or had had alterations that make it a departure from original. Shooters have value in their own right because one can take it out and hunt/great clays with it to their hearts content and have no worries about effecting the value of the gun.
Sometimes, alterations such as the addition of chokes give the gun a versatility that is valuable to some shooters.
I myself was considering the purchase of a VH about a year back that had screw in chokes installed. The price was right and the gun was in decent shape. But I thought about it too long and it sold to another party.
I would have never considered putting screw in chokes into a 80% condition gun myself. But if someone else has already done the deed and the price is right, why no buy it?
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,637 Times in 2,670 Posts

Yes well there are all sorts of collectors. Several years ago I was approached by a person who wanted " an original Parker 28ga with lots of gold" and what it cost was insignificant.

Then there was the person who called me from Phoenix and wanted me to find him another 20ga VHE because he had one before and he tried to have that made into an A-1S by a local guy who said he could engrave it. The guy did a terrible job and ruined the gun so now he was looking for another 20ga because he had another engraver down there who this time could make it into a perfect A-1S. He was willing to pay book price. I did not help him.

I don't know what collectors like. I do know what I like and what my friends who have nice guns like.

The more I learn, the less I know.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,814 Times in 911 Posts

I believe in the Blue Book when it says 80% it is referring to case colors and a gun in that condition should have 95% + blue and wood. There should be a footnote that explains that. An 80% case-colored gun is very rare. If it is all gone you are talking about a $1000 gun, +/- in my humble opinion. Photos and someone may p.m. you with a good opinion of value.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote