Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 06-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mark,
The only problem with bringing wonderful dogs into our lives is that we most usually outlive them. Man...that just tears me up. I am such a sucker for great dogs (or even ordinary dogs), and am so heart-broken when they die, that I've only had two of them in my life, and I am 65 years old. I love them so much that I just can't stand the thought of outliving a third one. So now you guys all know what a wimpy, emotional sucker for dogs I am. I make no apologies for my total love for my two excellent departed canine companions--nor for my love of dogs in general.

I read somewhere that a man is supposed to be entitled to one great dog in his life. Well, I've had two. Some of you have had many more. WONDERFUL! But I don't think my heart could stand the loss of another one. I will go out with friends who have wonderful dogs from now on, and I will form my attachments with those excellent beasts. We will have a good time. The dogs will love me and I will love them. Man... I love them all! But I will avoid having to bury any more of my own great dogs until my dying day. A few years ago, I helped an excellent friend bury his beloved dog. I guess you could say I was a ball bearer. I could hardly stand it. Like I said, I am a total sucker for a dog. No shame here.
Patrick Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Hanna For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Patrick,

Forgive me but maybe you are looking at this from the wrong point of view. Of course you have a soft spot for dogs and they make you happy. Look at it though from the dog's point of view. You have made 2 dogs happy by showing them love, attention and simple affection. At 65 you could have made 4-5 dogs happy during the years.

There is no shame in showing love whether it be for an animal or another human being. I think all of us would fall into the same category. People like us who share the outdoors whether it be hunting, fishing or simply a nice hike have a pleasure others do not have. We get to actually see what God has prepared for us on earth, the beauty, majesty and awe are not lost on us. We get to not only see it but enjoy it as well. Some people pass the same views every day and see nothing. We have goodness in our hearts to do that and to enjoy the joys of having a dog as well. I think it's time you get 3 more dogs to make up for lost time. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis V. Nix For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yo, Dennis,
Very eloquently stated. I am so glad you responded in this way. You're correct! Of course, this doesn't make me any less emotional nor any more philosophical about my heartbreak over the loss of dogs. I am just such a total sucker for them. Truth be told: I'm an emotional mess when it comes to dogs. I love them totally, and I don't ever get over them when they pass on. Oh well, that's just me. When they come into our lives, aren't they a totally wonderful gift from God? I think so. Thanks, Man!
Patrick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Hanna For Your Post:
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Patrick,
In 2005/2006 within a couple of months I lost 2 dogs and 2 cats. They all came into the house at the same time as puppies/kittens and incredibly all lived to about 17 years of age. I cried like a baby over each of them and am not ashamed to admit that. I had always thought I hated cats but the two I had were brother and sister and each had their own personalities. The dogs were both mixed but basically black lab and GSP. The lab right off the bat settled who was in charge when we brought her home to meet the male GSP. Of course the lab being half Rhodesian Ridgeback was a little tougher. After that day there was never any issues of what animal ran the household pets and of course they all ran me and my ex wife. I miss them still but not having had them (I think they really had us) I would have missed out on the happiness they brought into the home. Yes they are a gift from God as are children. They are family. For me no kinder words can be said of pets. They are family...

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Patrick Hanna
Forum Associate

Member Info

Beautifully stated, Dennis, and a wonderful tribute to your animal partners, too. You've been blessed. We all have.
Patrick