Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-09-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,505 Times in 339 Posts

I find it interesting that the 12 gauge guns required an additional $100 premium over the 20 and 28 gauge guns.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
Victor Tamini
Forum Associate

Member Info

After owning a 12 and 20 gauge, I prefer the 20 for the way it handles and shoots. The 20 is a magic wand on clays, it feels like part of me.
Same with a Superposed, much livelier gun in 20 gauge.
Unread 12-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,191 Times in 4,903 Posts

Most people see the 20 gauge Repro as an overweight gun. The slow sales in the closeout was the result of having only 26" guns in one barrel sets. To get 28" barrels, you had to order a two barrel set. Double triggers were only available in two barrel sets and only from selected dealers. The only dealer who had double trigger guns was Guns Unlimited. Jaqua's and Don Shrum did not have much at all because they were the most popular dealers and they sold out fast. You had to be fast on the phone to get what you wanted. The 12 gauge required a premium because they made so few of them and there probably weren't many of them available at closeout time. When I called Guns Unlimited to ask about a double trigger 28, the lady said she had three and that was it, two barrel sets only, straight grips and beavertails. Shrum and Jaqua had nothing. She volunteered to open all the boxes and pick the best one for me. I didn't have the good sense to tell her to send me all three.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #14
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,662 Times in 356 Posts

Looking at the Rock Island sale,it appears to me that small gauge original guns went less than I would expect and repros brought more than expected.Bill is correct in saying that when the Japanese closed the factory the folks at Parker Repro looked at Italy,Belgium,and the UK for a manufacturer. I think the cheapest quote they got was $10,000 their cost. That is why I used to tell my customers to forget that it is a Parker. Where else can you buy a nicely engraved boxlock ejector in a case for under $5000. They are great values.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 12-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #15
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,202 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Tamini View Post
Were they not that popular when new to sell for $1895? Or was that a stress sale to get them sold?
No idea if it was a stress sale (I doubt Jaquas was stressed but they are still going gangbusters) but I personally think they were not very popular at that time, no matter what the reason.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,952 Times in 12,570 Posts

When the Parker Reproduction was first introduced I wanted one in the worst way!... but at that price it was nearly impossible to come up with that kind of money and raise a family and maintain a home. I eventually bought my first Repro twenty years ago. For what they are they're the very best deal out there. Used Repro's can compete with any new gun in the same price range.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-10-2021, 01:34 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,191 Times in 4,903 Posts

I agree with Dean about the $3370 original retail being a bit high for bottom feeders. However, when the closeout was advertised, the price was more in line for many buyers. However, the most coveted options were long gone and sales did not pick up. However, in today's world, a 26" single trigger 28 gauge for $1895 looks pretty good. Those who bought them at that price are very happy with them. A couple of years after I wrote the check, the deposit on my BHE .410 0000 frame was refunded. At the time, I didn't own a Repro of any kind.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #18
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,024 Posts

As a matter of reference I paid $4500 for a very good condition 28g Repro in the case, one trigger, one set of barrels 2 years ago. I would jump all over that today.
Unread 12-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #19
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,555 Times in 1,370 Posts

I bought a brand new in the case 28 gauge a couple years ago for $4100. I thought it was too nice to shoot so it just sat. About a year later I listed it for sale on the forum and didn’t get any takers. Put it on Gunbroker and it sold right away. I even made a couple hundred. One of the relatively few times I didn’t lose money.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 12-10-2021, 06:03 PM   #20
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,608 Times in 1,024 Posts

A good friend used to own a gun shop doing mostly Browning. He was approached shortly after the launch of the Repros and the ballpark price he was told to sell them for was $2400. He backed off because at that time it was high. He thinks he recalls his cost being near $1800-1900 which is close to the Jaquas price. Problem was he had to buy a boat load of them and couldn't afford it. That being said, to have doubled his money (or a more) now, 25 or whatever years later, it doesn't look like it was a great long term investment. I don't know anyone who got rich buying guns. At least they aren't as bad as race horses.