Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Left Ejector will not work
Unread 10-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
David Penland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Left Ejector will not work

Just acquired a shooter VHE with factory 26" barrels according to the serialization book and I really like it. The right barrel ejector always works. When I first started checking the ejectors the left barrel ejector would work if I pulled it first, however now it will not work at all. Any thoughts as how to correct or what the problem may be? Thanks
David Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sorry
Unread 10-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
David Penland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Sorry

I inadvertently made the previous post about ejectors, sorry about that. However I would not cut any barrels unless it was the only cost effective solution.
David Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Penland For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for all the feedback so far. My primary concern was that the bulge, being so close to the muzzle, might cause (1)..poor patterns or, (2)..rib separation. I had the gun out today to test the patterns and they were fine, so my only other concern is the possibility of rib issues. I do not want to cut the barrels, and professional repair would not be cost effective, so I will leave things as they are and hope for the best. The gun involved is a grade 1 hammer gun with twist barrels and very little condition left. I only have a few hundred into it, and it's already thinned out the local squirrel population which is it's intended purpose. Just out of curiosity, the last question I had on the original post was...If you came across two identical guns, one having a bulge, and one having cut barrels, which of the two would you be more inclined to purchase.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
John Knobelsdorf II
PGCA Member

Member Info

The attractiveness of a good looking pattern would be enough to make me prefer the gun with the bulge versus one with cut barrels.

While a bulge is not pretty to look at, it is a sign of honest wear (and warning to avoid what creates bulges).

Originality is also an enhancement for me.

Also, depending on what the shooting is for, the longer barrels are an enhancement.

If I start cutting an acceptable set of barrels, I do not know what I am getting until it is too late to go back to what I may decide I preferred. I am not rich enough for experiments like that.

Meghan Superczynski, for Boss Shotshells, Bridgman, Michigan
John Knobelsdorf II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Knobelsdorf II For Your Post:
Unread 10-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #15
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,157 Posts

Check with John Hosford (sp) and see what he would charge to tap it back into shape. Once it's fixed, you can put it behind you. Downside, you won't be able to blame missed birds on your barrel bulge ; )
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2018, 03:27 AM   #16
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,548 Times in 1,366 Posts

Having the choice of buying a gun with cut bbls or bulged, I would take the bulged bbls. If I bought it I would then get the bulge repaired. I think it would drive me crazy to be carrying around a gun, especially damascus, with a bulged bbl. I can hear it now, “How’d that happen? You gonna get it fixed? That could be dangerous!” Even at that, it wouldn’t be as bad as cutting the bbls. Collectible or not, high grade or shooter, I just wouldn’t cut bbls. I would sell the the gun.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #17
High Brass
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've been shooting a GH damascus with a circumferential bulge about an inch or so back from the end of the left barrel. It's visible but not readily apparent. No issues. It's choked .036 in that barrel and patterns very tight. I doubt you'll have any problems if you shoot yours.

Last edited by George Stanton; 10-30-2018 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: .
George Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #18
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 901 Posts

Remember if the bulge is 1 1/2 inches back and you cut off 2 inches, you have barrels that are the thinnest of the whole barrel length right at the end. The full choke provides much additional thickness at the end. So once cut, you will have barrels that will be subject to easily dented barrels at the end. I will bet Dan Morgan can help get the bulge back to presentable for a small fee. 802 457-4828 He saved a badly rippled Damascus barrel set for me and I thought they were junk.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #19
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,434 Times in 4,453 Posts

Jerry has a good point. I would leave as is myself. A good gunsmith can take out the bulge
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #20
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Are some of these barrels partially obstructed to cause these bulges or is it something else that is culprit to cause a bulge.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote