Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Harry Reed
PGCA Member

Member Info

How did you hit the birds with the camera on there? I am impressed
Harryreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Very cool Mike!
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #13
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Larry, there were a few misses that ended up on the cutting room floor, but not many. It was difficult at first with the camera mounted directly in my sight plane, however I did hit the first bird flushed in front of me. Actually the laughing you hear in the background is because the Pheasant landed in the cab of the ATV that's trailing us, and would have hit the owner of the preserve in the head if he hadn't ducked out of the way. The camera also sat in different places on the barrels depending on which way it was facing. it's a good thing it's incredibly light. It might be the one time that crossing birds were easier to hit, because leading them meant they weren't behind the camera! it's a good thing we're pointing and not aiming I guess.

Scott, I have several other mounts for the camera, including the head mount, but nothing was going to give me the perspective that I wanted except putting it right on the barrels. I shot the video in 1080p HD video on the Super Wide setting, even though the camera will shoot in higher resolutions than that. I purchased the 32gig card, and I ran out of space on the memory card before the battery went dead, and ended up with several hours of footage. The one issue is that no matter how hard you screw the camera to the base, it folds under the recoil a little bit. With the super wide angle it's hard to tell, but I was adjusting it all day. I've since found a company called "Capture Your Hunt" who makes a simple $4 "keeper" that will screw in and stop this from happening.

I'll try it out again in February when we head back to Drake Landing and see how it does for sporting clays. Hopefully I'll have it perfected by the Southern.

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike.Smith For Your Post:
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,950 Times in 12,570 Posts

Mike, does it have a 'see thru' mount like some scopes have?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

enjoyed being along on the hunt..hope we can do this again sometime... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
Buddy Marson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Great job Mike! Thanks for sharing.
Buddy Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Great video
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Great video

Nice to see all that blaze orange. Mike, were you the only one shooting a side-by-side that day? Was this filmed on a preserve? If so, do you mind telling us which one and where located? Nice cover, great dog work, and best of all, background music from my favorite movie of all time "The Blues Brothers" Yesiree!!
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,950 Times in 12,570 Posts

It's funny... every time I watch that and it switches to the camera looking back at Mike I reflexively duck from the barrels that are pointed right at me... it's a really strange feeling.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean, to answer your earlier question, which I somehow missed, there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the mount and the barrels where you can see through. If you were sitting still and aiming like you would a rifle, you could probably see through the gap well enough. For this kind of hunting though, it's pretty much useless.

Grantham, this was filmed on a preserve in Snow Camp, NC called Beaver Pond. It's owned and run by a gentleman named Johnny Miller. Beaver Pond is a members only club, however I'm not a member (yet). I'm very fortunate in that Johnny runs several "open" hunts like this per year for non-members, and I try to make as many as I can. We don't have any wild birds like this down my way. He has a first class Hunting Lodge and covered Five Stand on several hundred acres. The newest addition is a 14 station sporting clays course, which I shot for the first time the same day I filmed the video. It's about an hour from my house, and I have several other sporting clays courses that are closer, or I'd be out there shooting it more often. While I was the only one shooting a side by side this day, there are several regulars on these hunts who also enjoy toting a Parker or Fox through the fields.

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Great video
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #20
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,707 Times in 417 Posts

Default Great video

Mike;
That was fantastic! And great shooting to boot!
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote