Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The BTF looks a bit odd with it's wide uneven shape near the end. I would think "Del Grego" work would be a little more streamlined and closer to original... Perhaps the wood was done by someone else at a later date?

Best, CSL
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,945 Times in 12,569 Posts

Chris, I think you nailed it.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,084 Times in 3,240 Posts

While it may have begun life as a Parker Trojan, at some stage in the hands of it's latest smith, it seems to me that it becomes more the smith, and less the Parker. When a guy takes a small block Chevy V8, and puts it in his '32 Ford pickup, the truck doesn't become a Chevy. Kinda reminds me of the guy who claims to have his grandfathers axe, even though it's had 5 new handles and 4 new heads.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,181 Times in 4,899 Posts

Someone buy this thing so we can show it to the Del Gregos. Babe will deny that he has ever seen it, even though the metal may have been done in his shop. I would bid a reasonable amount for the gun but for the fact that the inletting needs about a thousand dollars worth of work to get right. Check out the trigger guard and the inside of the forend. Maybe it's a trick of the camera, but I don't think so.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,395 Times in 4,731 Posts

I see that Vintage Gun grips, at least, does make reproductions of the Illion, NY grip caps. Hard to tell if the one on this Trojan is original Remington or a reproduction.

The seller clearly does not know anything about these, that is evident by him stating that the recoil pad may be original. I did drop him a line giving him a bit of information on the gun so that he could at least advertise it more accurately if he wanted.
BTFE Trojan
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default BTFE Trojan

There was a "secure room" behind the shop, at the original Del Grego shop in Ilion. Three BTFE Trojans hung there which were the familie's own hunting guns. There was a story about them being damaged in an auto accident.
Del Grego had a branded pad at the time these guns were made, and a patent on the fore end attachement.

A person from Maine called himself "The Fox Shop" and had a triple table of gun parts at New England shows for years. He had DHBP's , Ilion, and Meriden grip caps through the 1990's,

Ther were three BTFE Trojans for sale at a VT show around 1995. None of these were made by Del Grego.

I think this gun should be looked at as what it is; a very high quality custom gun that is made with some Parker Trojan parts.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

It always bothers me to call these guns "restored", because that means to me that they were returned to original condition. This is an interesting gun using a Trojan barrel and action, but it is restored no more than one of the many custom rifle makers , including Griffin & Howe, Beisen and Garrett, "restores" a Springfield '03 or Mod 70 with their custom work.

With that wood and stockwork, imperfect though the inletting may be, that custom stock had to be costly, and far more costly than the Trojan action and barrels.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

A DelGrego Trojan, BTFE and Miller trigger, is pictured on the third plate following p. 175 of EDM's "Old Reliable". It was made for Larry III by his grandfather for his tenth birthday. I have seen the gun and it is really nice, a family heirloom.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,181 Times in 4,899 Posts

Austin, I still have "stuff" I bought from The Fox Shop. I recently sold a complete 3200 Remington shotgun receiver and forend iron that obviously came from the Remington factory. He probably got his buttplates from Remington also. I also bought some great custom rifle stuff from him, like horn buttplates and European swivels. That wasn't Captain Higgins, was it?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
FOX Shop
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #20
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default FOX Shop

It has been 10 plus years since he has been in my area; I can't remember his name, Bill

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote