Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,356 Times in 3,278 Posts

Sometimes it seems as though some folks are collecting “perceived bargains “ as much as they are shotguns.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,417 Posts

I tried to communicate with the dealer on that gun. His response was not overwhelming to say the least. I am pretty sure he had already returned it to the owner because shortly afterwards it was pictured in the auction house’s ad for the upcoming sale.
Unread 05-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I tried to communicate with the dealer on that gun. His response was not overwhelming to say the least. I am pretty sure he had already returned it to the owner because shortly afterwards it was pictured in the auction house’s ad for the upcoming sale.
Reggie, I also thought it strange that at one point it was listed on both the dealer site and the auction site.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #14
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,157 Posts

OMG, how these 20gauge guns have appreciated!
I think I missed my window of opportunity to get an A, or AA 20 gauge 30 years ago. I'm in the wrong tax bracket now.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 05-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #15
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,654 Times in 354 Posts

We all have to remember that there are a great many shooters out there that the name
"Parker" means something special. They are not collectors as such but will buy one when they have the money and opportunity. I can't count the number of people who have come up to me at shows and told me they have always wanted a Parker.Those are the people who will buy at a high price at auctions.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 05-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,920 Times in 12,560 Posts

And sometimes we witness what happens when passionate collectors find themselves pitted against such people.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #17
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,434 Times in 4,453 Posts

I was watching an antique auction this weekend and a spiral staircase estimated at $200 to $400 hammered for over $30K. You just never know.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 05-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #18
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,017 Posts

I don't believe I've ever actually made any money selling guns or cars. I sold three guns this past week, certainly for more than what I paid, but I think that is todays market. PERSONALLY, were I to sell a Parker, I'd take a bit less to put it in good hands of someone who is an enthusiast and keep it running, rather than have the bidding wars, because that can become tedious answering all the stupid questions. So I think there's a value to the for sale section here. I would likely trust folks here more than some of this crap on GB.
Unread 05-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #19
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,113 Times in 676 Posts

I went to a local auction that had a few guns listed. When I got there I discovered that one was a Parker VH 12ga with 30 inch barrels. Although it was in reasonable condition for a shooter it was a rather mundane piece. A group of guys were standing around it and one commented that Parkers are worth a bunch of money but it was obvious from their discussion that they had no idea what they were looking at. That same guy bought the gun for $2700 while I thought it to be a $1200-1400 gun. If you are the seller, jump for joy as you found the needle in the haystack.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2021, 07:39 AM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
I went to a local auction that had a few guns listed. When I got there I discovered that one was a Parker VH 12ga with 30 inch barrels. Although it was in reasonable condition for a shooter it was a rather mundane piece. A group of guys were standing around it and one commented that Parkers are worth a bunch of money but it was obvious from their discussion that they had no idea what they were looking at. That same guy bought the gun for $2700 while I thought it to be a $1200-1400 gun. If you are the seller, jump for joy as you found the needle in the haystack.
I think I've been that "needle" on more than one occasion. I do know, however, that there was a least one other person who was willing to pay almost what I did.