Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-04-2023, 11:26 AM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,993 Times in 3,221 Posts

I merely posted the link to the two bbl set in Morphy's auction. He posted a PGCA letter that states 2 3/4" chambers. I'm sure Chuck copied the information as he saw it in the records. I don't assert they are or are not 2 3/4".
My 30" gun was commissioned and upgraded by Delgrego and Runge for Sheldon Gitman around 1979. It was originally built in Meriden, as a VHE with 30" bbls, straight stock, and single trigger. I don't know what the chamber length is, but only load 2 1/2" in 28ga, so I don't really care.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2023, 12:00 PM   #12
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,113 Times in 2,431 Posts

The 1929 vintage "Chamber 2 3/4-inch" most likely would in theory be for 2 7/8-inch shells.

That is quite the Frankengun!! Five Remington repair codes on one set of barrels. Stock work looks more Remington than Parker Bros. to my eyes. Was one of the original 30-inch barrels whacked to 26-inch? Or, is that a new set of barrels added at a later time? No mention of beavertails, checkered butt or SST in the letter.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 12-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,993 Times in 3,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post

That is quite the Frankengun!!
It's been dolled up a fair bit but is still a valuable gun, not the least of the reason being it is the only 30" 28ga. CH grade ever made.
The listing, while somewhat inaccurate, opens up more questions than answers them. It isn't listed as having BTFEs, but one of the barrels has a reinforced fore end loop, and the other does not. Also, one of the fore ends has a correct iron for BTFE, and the other does not.
I suspect one of the 30" barrels is now the 26", looking at the chokes. Original full chokes were stupid tight, so bobbing 4" could still leave them with IC, as the listing states. The gold work, not Parker, isn't the worst I've seen but ought to be removed.
Mr Gitman was known to commission several A1S upgrades, and My suspicion is he chose to upgrade mine to CHE may be because there was only one gun ever made with those characteristics. Apart from Runge's signature, it is a faithful likeness in all respects.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: