Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,150 Times in 3,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
Nothing as satisfying as reloading your own 8's!!!
Perhaps knocking over a deer this season with my 8 gauge 000000 buck loads ! I know I got a charge last January knocking down two Pheasent cockbirds on the first peg at Prospect Hall with Brutus !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 725D8C01-BC9F-41DD-8C53-283EBF4CCD75.jpg (481.2 KB, 5 views)
Unread 05-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #12
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,146 Times in 410 Posts

I really like the looks of those clear Winchester hulls. Where can those be ordered from?
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #13
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,006 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
I really like the looks of those clear Winchester hulls. Where can those be ordered from?
Precision Reloading with shipping and tax etc they were $217/100 hulls .
They come already primed which is good especially right now . $2 hull may sound expensive at first but all the 8 gauge guys are getting many reloads out of them.

I think the reason they are clear is to make it easier for the Kiln operators to visually see what load they are using . From my understanding Winchester wont sell them to private individuals but they have a deal worked out with Precision Reloading or so ive heard .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 05-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Perhaps knocking over a deer this season with my 8 gauge 000000 buck loads ! I know I got a charge last January knocking down two Pheasent cockbirds on the first peg at Prospect Hall with Brutus !
Beautiful 8 gauge did you see the other 8 gauge Parker hammer gun that sold recently ? https://www.merzantiques.com/product...-7-size-frame/
Unread 05-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #15
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
Nothing as satisfying as reloading your own 8's!!!
From what Ive read its pretty common to have to fully resize your more common shotgun hulls also before reloading so really doesnt make the 8 gauge too different .

I plan on loading some larger shot sizes, I really want to try it on coyotes on bobcats .
Unread 05-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
From what Ive read its pretty common to have to fully resize your more common shotgun hulls also before reloading so really doesnt make the 8 gauge too different .

I plan on loading some larger shot sizes, I really want to try it on coyotes on bobcats .
The initial sizing of a new 8 gauge is a different bird from resizing 8’s that had the initial sizing or any other shot shell hull for that matter . However a fellow wants to load them is up to him . But the reworked MEC press and initial sizing setup that could be bought from Ken Burns and Armbrust have to be the easiest . Only problem I see is coming up with wad guide fingers that hold up for more then 200 or so loads .
Unread 05-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #17
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Precision Reloading with shipping and tax etc they were $217/100 hulls .
They come already primed which is good especially right now . $2 hull may sound expensive at first but all the 8 gauge guys are getting many reloads out of them.

I think the reason they are clear is to make it easier for the Kiln operators to visually see what load they are using . From my understanding Winchester wont sell them to private individuals but they have a deal worked out with Precision Reloading or so ive heard .
The price has gone up drastically ! Armbrust ordered 5,000 from Winchester that were supposed to be in last June and they arrived at Precision eventually in December . I’d pre ordered 500 before they arrived at an expected cost of $152@100 , they called when they arrived to make sure I still wanted them and gave me a better price $20 less a 100 so I bought 600 . I assume the ones you bought came out the same 5,000 but they sure inflated the price since they first arrived .
Unread 05-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #18
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
The price has gone up drastically ! Armbrust ordered 5,000 from Winchester that were supposed to be in last June and they arrived at Precision eventually in December . I’d pre ordered 500 before they arrived at an expected cost of $152@100 , they called when they arrived to make sure I still wanted them and gave me a better price $20 less a 100 so I bought 600 . I assume the ones you bought came out the same 5,000 but they sure inflated the price since they first arrived .
I bought these sometime last month , I looked at them on a Tuesday and by Thursday when I went to order they had went up another $20 . I wonder if a large enough order was placed if Winchester would do a batch without the ring on the brass . Me and some guys did this with custom rifle brass before cant remember who we used though it was years back. It was a technically a wildcat cartridge but couldnt be formed from other brass . So We placed a order of 10,000 cases at $3 a piece for them to set up the initial run .

Eventually I plan to order some brass cases from RCC but as they have a minimal order of 50 cases its not a priority right now as I have 200 Winchester cases .
Unread 05-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #19
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
I bought these sometime last month , I looked at them on a Tuesday and by Thursday when I went to order they had went up another $20 . I wonder if a large enough order was placed if Winchester would do a batch without the ring on the brass . Me and some guys did this with custom rifle brass before cant remember who we used though it was years back. It was a technically a wildcat cartridge but couldnt be formed from other brass . So We placed a order of 10,000 cases at $3 a piece for them to set up the initial run .

Eventually I plan to order some brass cases from RCC but as they have a minimal order of 50 cases its not a priority right now as I have 200 Winchester cases .
These hulls are pulled right off the assembly line as they’re made . Evidently the hulls are made and as made go straight on the ammo line . So there is no ready stockpile of new hulls .
Unread 05-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #20
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
These hulls are pulled right off the assembly line as they’re made . Evidently the hulls are made and as made go straight on the ammo line . So there is no ready stockpile of new hulls .
Ah so sounds like a large order like you mentioned of 5000 must be placed for them to even sell them to the shooters market.