Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,831 Times in 663 Posts

Sneaking up on mallards on farm ditches is usually close and fast shooting. I use #5 shot bismuth or tungsten matrix shells. I will see a woody once in a while, but they don't flush like a mallard. Some days I do well, and on others, it is just a long walk on the farm!
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

I used to jump shoot mallards, blacks and woodies along similar ditches and creeks when I was a kid. Some of the best times I ever had with the old Trojan 12. Memory Lane is a nice place for a stroll. Thanks Jeff.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

My first pair of ducks were shot off a farmer's pond in the middle of a pasture which at the time was full of cows. That pond was a hundred yards from a patch on woods but on the other side and looking up the hill there was at perhaps 250 yards to the farmers's house and barn. I was about 16 and my buddies dropped me off to sneak those woods. Once through the woods I snuck over open pasture to the bank of the elevated pond. I crawled up the bank with a Savage Fox B in tow loaded with 12 gauge 3" lead #2's.

Once in position I popped up and so did the Woodies. Boom, boom and they were in the middle of the pond with me wondering how I'd retrieve them without getting wet. I also wondered if the farmer had heard the shots... That tense moment so long ago was in Potter County Pennsylvania and while not some dark holler in West Virginia, one could still get shot at by an irate farmer worried about his cows!

Luckily for me there was a breeze. Within 10 minutes of me hugging mother Earth to avoid detection by the farmer, the ducks has been blown to shore. I once again popped up, snatched my birds and very rapidly snuck into the woods.

The year was 1976. I joined the Marines in 1977 and always did very well in night maneuvers and other challenges of stealth. After all, I had a little practice in circumstances with potential live fire...

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

good storey...we have all done a little training under fire i suppose...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,542 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott kittredge View Post
nice pic, tell us about the gun i will be going out in the morning with my sneakbox boat. i will report tomorrow. scott
1 mallard yesterday and 2 today here is the 1st one, useing my EH 10 ga with 1 1/4 oz 5's bismuth at 45 yds, had to jump shoot the 2nd one in a low tide creek; turn out to be a muddy mess and dog too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duck and gun 1.jpg (168.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg duck and gun 2.jpg (192.3 KB, 0 views)
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scott kittredge For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

thats one pretty duck i like the way youve got the duck and shell placed and of course the gun on that log...these old tens were built for duck hunting... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Some of the funnest duck hunting I've ever done was jump shooting along a small creek near my little log cabin in south central Alaska. I knew where the wide spots were that they liked and I'd sneak up on my belly and jump them. I also floated the creek in my canoe with my VHE20 beside me. I'd come around the bends and they'd go straight up. Very fun shooting. Once I tipped the canoe over leaning to shoot and lost the gun in 6ft of water and had to strip and dive for it. THAT was cold I can tell you. I'd pull out at a fish hatchery, leave the canoe in the bushes and hitchhike back to my truck with the open gun over one shoulder and ducks over the other. Guys would screech to a halt to give me a ride. You gotta love this place. Unfortunately, some of those ducks would be eating salmon eggs in that creek and stunk up the place pretty good during cooking and tasted pretty nasty....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: