Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 06-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,339 Times in 3,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I may go to the water glass sealant because crimping is such a pain. I have no idea how to get water glass, so I guess Duco cement may be a good substitute.
waterglass is just another name for sodium silicate

it's easy to find online under that name

there are even videos on how to make your own

here you go
https://www.thoughtco.com/make-sodiu...r-glass-608271
Unread 06-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,006 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Unless you are carrying the shells all day in your pocket, why do they have to be crimped at all. Some loaders use "water glass" to seal the over shot wad. I may go to the water glass sealant because crimping is such a pain. I have no idea how to get water glass, so I guess Duco cement may be a good substitute. I always loaded my 10 gauge blanks with no crimp. 3 1/2" shell filled to the brim holds a lot of black powder. I once shot a serious overload, and my Winchester cannon did a back flip off of a wood pile. It landed on soft asphalt and was not damaged.
I gave always wondered if you could make use out of the extra room you get from a 3.5" shell sealing(overshot card glued in place) that way . I believe crimping them with a star crimp takes up about 1/2" of space . Some of the 10 ga 3.5" loads I used to buy would be 3" crimped but some other brands were actually shorter than that .

You can get a 1 gallon jug of water glass for $20 , could probably do alot of shells with a gallon . This is how Larry Potterfield does his brass shells , I cant recall if it was on his 11 gauge Parkers video or the 10 gauge .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote